THIS WEEK IN PHOTOS | October 28th, 2018

Prof. Jeff Wasserstrom, history, University of California, Irvine compared Chinese president Xi Jinping to Pope Francis and past Chinese leaders Mao Zedong and Chiang Kai-shek during a lecture on Monday. (Jing Jiang / Sun Staff Photographer)

On Monday, the Cornell Speech and Debate Society hosted a debate between the Cornell Republicans and Democrats on which party to vote for in the upcoming midterm elections. (Boris Tsang / Sun Assistant Photography Editor)

As winter approaches, students at Olin, Mann, Math and Vet Libraries now have the opportunity to crochet or knit covers for the library security gates as a way to destress. (Jing Jiang / Sun Staff Photographer)

Sukhmani Kaur ’21, president of the Cornell Sikh Students Association, speaks at the the “Candle Night Gathering for Storytelling and Solidarity” event on Wednesday. The gathering gave minority organizations on campus the opportunity to share their stories and the challenges they face through a variety of performances. (Alice Song / Sun Staff Photographer)

Pulitzer Prize winning novelist Viet Thanh Nguyen read a selection of passages from his books and discussed his experience as a Vietnamese refugee in America on Thursday. (Boris Tsang / Sun Assistant Photography Editor)

The women's ice hockey team claimed a 3-2 victory over Harvard for its second regular season victory on Friday. (Boris Tsang / Sun Assistant Photography Editor)

The women’s ice hockey team claimed a 3-2 victory over Harvard for its second regular season victory on Friday. (Boris Tsang / Sun Assistant Photography Editor)

Visitors treat themselves to a variety of root beers at Wizarding Weekend in the Ithaca Commons on Saturday. (Boris Tsang / Sun Assistant Photography Editor)

Sophomore goaltender Matt Galajda concedes his fourth goal of the night at Cornell's second game against Michigan State on Saturday. The Red continued to struggle after its crushing defeat on Friday, ultimately losing both games to start the season 0-2. (Jose Covarrubias / Sun Staff Photographer)

Sophomore goaltender Matt Galajda concedes his fourth goal of the night at Cornell’s second game against Michigan State on Saturday. The Red continued to struggle after its crushing defeat on Friday, ultimately losing both games to start the season 0-2. (Jose Covarrubias / Sun Staff Photographer)