_MG_0499 edit

Courtesy of Walk The Moon

Walk The Moon to Return to Ithaca Monday at The State Theatre

Walk The Moon, the indie pop quartet behind “Shut Up and Dance” and “Anna Sun” are bringing their live show to the State Theatre of Ithaca on Monday evening.

The Ohio quartet who headlined Slope Day in 2016 are known for their catchy, candid lyrics and cheerful songs that have solidified themselves as decent, inoffensive music for barbeques, middle school dances and commercials. Despite a lack of critical acclaim, their music is just about as charismatic and crowd-pleasing as it could be. There are really only two reasons to complain about Walk the Moon music: pretension or party-pooping.

Since their 2014 platinum hit “Shut Up and Dance,” they’ve spent the last half-decade touring, taking a year-long hiatus, creating the 2017 album What If Nothing and most recently releasing the single “Timebomb.” While What If Nothing explored electronic influences, “Timebomb” is true-to-legacy Walk the Moon with just a hint of the voice distortion and futuristic synths they added to their repertoire in the making of What If Nothing.

Walk the Moon toured with impressive stamina around the release of Talking is Hard, the 2014 album that features “Work This Body” and “Different Colors” in addition to “Shut Up and Dance.” In an interview with Rolling Stone, frontman Nicholas Petricca said they were playing almost 300 shows a year. Despite that grueling touring schedule, they fashioned boisterous shows night after night.

Bear Hands, a Brooklyn indie and experimental rock group, are set to open. Their energetic, cadent and punny songs are easy to listen to and are loud enough to kick off a lively concert. Bear Hands have been playing, recording and touring together since their 2006 formation at Wellesley College.

Doors open at 7 p.m. and Bear Hands take the stage at 8. Tickets are available at the State Theatre Box Office or online via Ticketfly, for $36, and about $7.50 in online service fees.  

Katie Sims is a junior in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. She can be reached at ksims@cornellsun.com. She currently serves as the associate editor on The Suns editorial board.