Courtesy of the Ithaca Fire Department

Diesel fluid leaked onto the street after a collision between a passenger vehicle and a garbage truck Thursday morning.

Woman Airlifted After Collision With Garbage Truck Near Trumansburg

A woman became trapped in her car after colliding with a garbage truck Thursday morning at the intersection of Hayts Road and Hopkins Road in the Town of Ithaca near Trumansburg.

The woman’s car slammed into the side of the garbage truck a little before 8 a.m., causing the garbage truck to leak diesel fluid, Ithaca Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Thomas Basher said in a statement.

The first responders — also working against the subzero wind chill — found the woman trapped inside the vehicle and worked to extricate her. The woman, who was not identified, was airlifted to Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa. for treatment of her injuries.

Google Maps shows the location of the crash is a three-way intersection surrounded by corn fields. The T-shaped intersection has one stop sign, which is for northbound traffic on Hopkins Road.

The responders, including the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Department, Bangs Ambulance and Ithaca Fire Department, extricated the woman from the car and began cleanup efforts, closing the two roads for approximately two hours. The New York State State Police and the Department of Environmental Conservation also provided assistance.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident.