Multiple fraternities within the Cornell Interfraternity Council have been temporarily suspended due to alleged hazing incidents.

Several University Fraternities Suspended Over Hazing Allegations

This article will be updated.

Editor’s note: This article contains mentions of hazing.

The University temporarily suspended several chapters under Cornell’s Interfraternity Council due to hazing allegations, amid Cornell’s spring fraternity pledging process.

The Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards is currently investigating the alleged hazing instances.

“Cornell University does not tolerate hazing or other forms of mentally and physically coercive activities,” a representative of the University wrote in a statement to The Sun. 

During this suspension, all accused fraternities are not permitted to engage in any chapter activities. All brothers are also prohibited from contacting any new members or potential new members.

From 2017 to 2021, 28 Cornell fraternities have seen suspensions or restrictions imposed on their activities due to hazing allegations. In 2019, then first-year student Antonio Tsialas ’23 died due to fraternity hazing at Phi Kappa Psi, leading to Cornell indefinitely revoking the chapter’s status.

Potential new sorority and fraternity members were mandated to complete a Canvas course discussing how to recognize and prevent hazing and the consequences of failing to stop hazing before participating in the Spring 2024 recruitment cycle.

“When the University receives reports that concern the health and safety of our students, we must take them seriously and act swiftly,” the representative of the University said.

The University declined to provide information regarding the specific fraternity chapters suspended.

Members of the Cornell community may report hazing incidents to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards or, anonymously, through the Cornell University Police Department’s reporting system. Students seeking individual resources can contact Cornell Health Counseling and Psychological Services or Student Support and Advocacy Services.

Update, 2/14, 11:58 a.m.: This article has been updated to clarify that the University declined to comment on the specific fraternity chapters suspended and to provide resources regarding hazing.

Clarification, Feb. 15, 3:29 p.m.: This article has been updated to clarify that the stipulations on 28 Greek organizations from 2017 to 2021 due to hazing allegations include both suspensions and limits on activities, not just suspensions.

Correction, Feb. 14, 3:40 p.m.: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Antonio Tsialas ’23 died in 2021. Tsialas ’23 died in 2019. The Sun regrets this error, and the article has been corrected.