police

Consecutive Trespasses Reported Thursday

Editor’s note appended

Cornell Police issued two consecutive crime alerts on Thursday regarding two incidents of criminal trespass — one in the Young Israel House at 106 West Ave. and another on the 700 block of Stewart Avenue.

Two female victims living on West Avenue reported that an unknown male entered their room at approximately 5:15 a.m. Thursday. The male allegedly stood at the foot of their beds until they woke up and when confronted, said “sorry,” and left the room, according to CUPD.

The students described the trespasser as a “white male, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighing 150 pounds with shorter light colored hair and a clean shaven face.” He was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with “CORNELL” written across the front.

In a separate incident, another Cornell student woke up at 7:30 a.m. Thursday to find an unknown male in her room. The trespasser also said “sorry” and abruptly left the room, according to CUPD.

The victim described the trespasser as a “white male, between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall, with a medium build, darker colored hair and a clean shaven face.”

In both incidents, no property was missing from the room and nothing appeared out of place, according to CUPD.

Editor’s note: A version of this story posted to social media inappropriately juxtaposed the headline of the story “Consecutive Trespasses Reported Thursday” with the picture provided by the Ithaca Police Department, which is seeking information “regarding suspicious activity in the Collegetown area.” While the story outlines the crime alerts and then goes into detail that the IPD is seeking information on this picture, these two together on Facebook without the context of the full news story provided a misleading image of events. The social media post has since been removed, and The Sun regrets this error.

9 thoughts on “Consecutive Trespasses Reported Thursday

1. I thought the same thing regarding the photo. Additionally… why were these rooms left unlocked? I’ve never understood people who don’t lock their dorm rooms, houses, cars, etc.

More often than not, in my local newspaper, burglaries of homes and cars are reported to have occurred in UN-locked homes and UN-locked cars. This is obviously a disturbed person on the loose but people… please lock your doors! It’s not that hard to do!

2. Why is there a photo of a black male when the two suspects described are both white males? Is the police looking for the black man in this photo?

3. Very confused. Who is the man in the surveillance image? Surely not the white male. If the Ithaca PD released this photo regarding suspicious activity it certainly could not be the trespassing events since the description from at least 3 victims does not match up. Why is this image attached to this article when evidence points to the fact that this man was involved in an unrelated incident?

4. Funny how a picture of a black male is released, yet the man described by all victims is WHITE. What exactly is the LEAD of this photo? Do we, as students, now have to “Watch out” for this man potentially walking into our homes as opposed to the real creep who happens to be A WHITE MALE. I would truly appreciate it if Ithaca PD provided legit reason as to why they chose to release this picture and what does this man have to do with the investigation? What they should be doing, in my opinion, is releasing a sketch of the man described by the victims who saw him with their own eyes.

5. It’s not Ithaca PD responsible for this mistake – it’s the Daily Sun. They had this picture separate from the stalker information and the Daily Sun thought it made sense to attach it because who cares about journalistic integrity these days?

6. Pingback: Anger over image of black man associated with white trespassers

7. Oh! This is frightening especially to those who also live near the place. Now I possibly think that surveillance cameras and CCTVs could help with this types of problems. Well, I read somewhere in this blog http://www.getkuna.com/blogs/ the importance of security tools. By the way, is there a camera or CCTV in the place? I hope so.