Join The Cornell Daily Sun

(Isabelle Jung/Sun Graphics Editor)

Thank you for your interest in joining The Cornell Daily Sun — we’re so excited to welcome you aboard. Click on a department below to learn more about the paper, and how you can get involved this semester.

Business and Operations 

Who we are:

While the editorial side of The Sun works tirelessly to produce our newspaper, the business team focuses on our financial needs. As an independent for-profit business, being part of the business team means protecting and shaping the financial future of the whole organization.

What we do:

The Business and Operations team is currently divided up into five sections: Advertising, Marketing, Human Resources, Finance and Technology.

To contact the Business and Operations Manager, email [email protected] and [email protected].

Arts & Culture

Who we are:

You must be passionate about the arts! Or entertainment! You love many of the following: Music, theater, TV, movies, pop culture or subcultures, social media, politics, being opinionated, social justice. You are a critic, you are a fan, you are… a human.

What we do:

The Arts team engages with the Cornell and Ithaca arts communities, covering and reviewing art in all its forms.

Additional information:

Perks of being on Arts staff, as told by the Arts department: 

• A fancy Sun email.
  • Access to both student artists and famous artists or musicians for interviews or features.
  • Press pass: A free concert or theater ticket to an event you will cover.
  • Cool friends.

To contact the Arts Editor, email [email protected].

Design, Layout, Production

Who we are:

We directly work to design each issue of the Sun’s print paper.

What we do: 

Every meticulous layout and colorful front page you notice on the stands are brought to you by the Layout team. We are also looking for individuals to add advertisements to the layout!

For any specific questions about Layout, email [email protected].

Dining

Who we are:

Whether you’re into food science or restaurants, or you are just a self-proclaimed foodie, we want to hear from you! We publish all things food from cultural analyses to columns, from restaurant reviews to recipes. We’re excited to start cooking up new articles with you!

What we do:

You decide when you want to write — just connect it to food! Staffers should expect to work with a department calendar and attend monthly meetings. Excited and want to write more? Please reach out to us!

To contact the Dining Editor, email [email protected].

Graphics

Who we are:

We create most of the visual elements used in the papers!

What we do:

Illustrations, editorial cartooning, digital art, graphic design, edits, comic strips and more!

Examples of our work:

For any specific questions about Graphics/Sketch, contact our Graphics/Sketch Editor, Alicia Wang, at [email protected].

Multimedia 

Who we are:

Welcome to the Multimedia Department! We are the home to all things video-related at the Sun, be it street interviews, event coverage, video essays, short docs, data science animations or however else you want to bring life to the Sun’s coverage of life on the Hill.

What we do:

Whatever you want to do, we want to empower you to do it.

And absolutely no experience is required. Perhaps you’ve been curious about making videos for a while now but have never dabbled. Perhaps you’ve been doing it all your life. No matter your level of experience, we want you.

We look forward to meeting and working with you! Check out some of our past work here.

To contact the Multimedia Editor, email [email protected].

News

Who we are:

The news department reports on a wide variety of issues ranging from Cornell’s campus to Ithaca city coverage. Publishing around six stories a night, five times a week, the news department offers comprehensive coverage of student life and important issues both on and off campus. With subsections of Lifestyle, Issues and Resources, Off Campus and Administration, the news department is broad in its reach and offers a space for writing and reporting on a breadth of topics. We are always looking for new writers (and no prior experience or application is required!); reach out at any time to get involved! 

What we do:

When news breaks at Cornell, we are the first to cover it! We also cover campus events, University updates, student reactions, Ithaca city happenings and national and international news.

Here’s some of our recent work:

Reach out to the news department at [email protected]. We can’t wait to meet you! 

Opinion

Who we are:

Say what we really think! Our opinion writers have been published in your favorite national and international outlets and have gone on to work in a range of fields, including journalism, politics and the sciences.

What we do:

We write about hot topics on campus and beyond. From national politics to personal identity, from humor to mental health, if you have a burning opinion, the pages of The Sun are the perfect place to vent and find your audience.

Reach out to the opinion department at [email protected].

Photography

Who we are:

“As photojournalists, we supply information to a world that is overwhelmed with preoccupations and full of people who need the company of images … We pass judgment on what we see, and this involves an enormous responsibility.”

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Although this quote is from a 1997 issue of American Photo, its relevance today cannot be understated. The photo department plays a critical role in The Sun’s mission of informing the public; our images transport readers from across the globe to the latest happenings in Ithaca.

What we do:

Our photographers come from a range of different backgrounds, and we all share the same passion for visual storytelling, whether that story is a protest on campus, a festival downtown or a playoff hockey game. If you are passionate about photography and want to be an engaged member of the Cornell community, this is the department for you.

To contact the Photo Editor, email [email protected].

Science

Who we are:

The science section reports on anything science-related in the Cornell community and beyond. We have writers from all types of backgrounds and majors such as biology, chemistry, computer science, astronomy, health/medicine, environmental science, engineering, communications and sustainability science.

What we do:

To contact the Science Editor, email [email protected].

Social Media

Who we are:

As the newest Sun department, we bring engagement to written and multimedia content by posting across multiple platforms every publishing day.

What we do:

• Post on Instagram (stories, posts) and Threads for all/any sections
  • Create event, meeting and recruitment graphics and posters (using Canva)
  • Brainstorm ideas for TikTok/Instagram reel videos and ideas

To contact the Social Media Editor, email [email protected].

Sports

Who we are:

We cover all 37 of Cornell’s varsity sports teams, attending games and interviewing players and coaches. We get unrivaled access to Cornell sports!

What we do:

• Previews, recaps, features, columns, breaking news and more!
  • You will get your own beat, which will make you the go-to source for news about your team over the course of the season.

Here are some of our recent stories:

As you can see from this sampling, there is plenty to write about even when games aren’t being played! 

To contact the Sports Editors, email [email protected].