AUDACIOUS | How to Ithaca: A Californian’s Guide to Winter

By SUTHESHNA MANI

So October 18th on Sunday morning I wake up, put on a nice sweat shirt and mosey outside and all of sudden…

giphy

Why is there cocaine coming out from the sky?

giphy-1

On a side note, October 18th was the day, ladies and gentlemen, that I first saw snow coming out from the sky. I have seen snow on the ground from occasional family vacations to the snowy parts of our country, but never have I seen it sprinkle Rice Krispies from the sky.

If you are from somewhere like my home, the lowest you have seen the thermometer go is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. I am not kidding. Scarves and beanies are merely cute fall accessories, and we are literally the state to hallmark the beautiful PR campaign that is Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Sweater Weather. Here it’s more like layered blizzard weather. But, if you want to make the most out of your winter as a native Cali kid, you have to really enjoy the winter here.

Tip #1: If it’s snowing, don’t wear gloves. You want your fingers to become icicles, because icicles are beautiful and it’s totally a great Instagram moment for you to document to all your West Coast friends.

#caligirl #eastcoast #icicles #beautiful

Tip #2: I was kidding about tip one. I thought sarcasm would be a great way to ease your concerns, but it’s about to get grim real soon. So Tip #2: Laugh at Tip #1, loosen up, be positive and take notes. Please.

Tip #3: Before you leave, wear a flannel shirt underneath and then a sweater. Bring an extra jacket in case, because after you are struck with the blistering cold, you will get sweaty real soon, so you need to be able to shed some layers once you get indoors.

Tip #4: BRING CHAPSTICK.

Tip #5: Buy a huge thing of Vaseline. I am so serious. You will dry up like prune, and if you are of a darker skin tone like I am, this does not look pretty. Ashy city, man.

giphy-2

If all else fails, we can convene in our Californian corner and sunshine and make each other warm in a nice circle. We comfort each other with the prospect that this winter is ephemeral, we don’t live in Ithaca and we can go back home to amazing weather, beautiful beaches.

Winter is coming my friends. And it’s not all sunshine and Cali beaches.

Good luck, my fellow Californians, and STAY WARM.

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com.

Sutheshna Mani is a junior in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. She was born in the snowy city of Baltimore, Maryland, and then her parents moved all the way to sunny San Diego when she was four (thank goodness for that). She loves to sing, dance, write and act; you will always hear her singing a tune. She is also a socially consciousness sleep-a-holic so that’s why you never see her smile: because she is either tired or impassioned. In her spare time she likes to stress about inane things and eat a lot of cookies. Audacious appears on alternate Fridays this semester. Sutheshna can be reached at sm2546@cornell.edu.

30 thoughts on “AUDACIOUS | How to Ithaca: A Californian’s Guide to Winter

1. I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and
    let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something
    that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this in my search for something regarding this.

2. We think the best position for the highest-value tile should be
    in the middle of the bottom line. eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],’gameyum_com-medrectangle-1′]));.
    The poker is the most searched game by users in the internet.

3. I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I’m not certain whether or
    not this publish is written through him as no one else realize such specific about my difficulty.

You’re incredible! Thank you!

4. Internet on this popular Jordan aura Bakin near recently presented all GS version of the revolutionary
    colours, shoes having african american is provided
    with priority in order to, to-do their decoration about purple.
    The design on token completely no: 316759-316759.

5. These retro style arcade CSR Racing 2 Hack offer old-school CSR Racing
    2 Hack like Pac-man and Tetris that are famous for their addictive CSR Racing 2 Hackplay, something that is timeless.
    Your history is kept on file so you can see everything you
    have purchased and either relive the joy. Generally, they could be distributed along a spectrum anywhere between hardcore simulations, and
    less difficult arcade racing CSR Racing 2 Hack.

6. Parents are inspiring their children to take some fun activities in order to boost
    their creativity. Carried in by his father, the infant wriggled his arms and legs while putting his teeth on full display.
    ” Today, with an understanding of astrology it all makes so much sense now. You cherish those yearly pictures of your little girl in her new Easter dress, chocolate smeared across her lips. From that, the 35-year-old actress has been rumored to be expecting her third child with hubby Jim Toth because Reese Witherspoon was seen to grow bigger. Lest there be a misconception, the Catholic Archdiocese of Pampanga does not encourage the actual nailing on the cross or the self-infliction of real wounds on the flagellants’ bare backs. One thing you can do to make it more inviting is to push the table to the back of your space.

7. I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours lately,
    but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours.

It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all
    website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did,
    the internet will be much more helpful than ever before.

8. I feel this is one oof the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i’m goad readong your article. However should observation on some basic
    issues, The site style is wonderful, the articles is actually excellrnt : D.

Good task, cheers

9. When running it aas a user, not an administrator, it will constantly tell you that you do not have privileges too have it scan everything, but when inside the program it doe
    not give you the opportunity to run aas administrator.

How it works: adware mayy get installed with so-called free
    software without any mention of it being included anywhere in the software’s license or documentation. Thhe Quarantine sectjon allows to restore all components that were accidentally removed
    after a system scan.

10. I believe this is among the most vital info for me.
    And i am happy studying your article. But should remark on few normal things, The web site
    taste is great, the articles is actually nice : D. Good job,
    cheers

11. May I simply just say what a relief to uncover a person that truly knows what
    they’re talking about on the internet. You certainly realize how to bring an issue
    to light andd make it important. More pople should read this and understand this side of your story.

I was suurprised that you aren’t more popular given that you
    definitely have the gift.

12. Thanks for every other excellent article. The
    place else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect manner of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such information.

13. It took me probably two, or three, weeks before most of what I was reading really
    registered. All Pfizer had to do was find a chemical that would selectively block PDE5 and nothing else.
    This approach ensures that you meet the project goals in a logical, systematic, and organized manner.

14. Thiss is the right site for everyone who wishes to fibd ouut about this topic.
    You realiz a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not thaqt I really
    would want to…HaHa). Youu certainly put a brand
    new spin on a topic that’s been discussed for decades.
    Great stuff, just great!

15. Hey There. I discovered your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful info.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.

16. I believe this іs аmong thee suϲh a lot sіgnificant info for me.
    And i’m haрpy studying your article. Butt shouⅼd statement оn few
    normal issues, Ƭhe web site taste is wonderful, the articles іѕ actually great : D.
    Good task, cheers