(Oliver Kliewe / Sun File Photo)

(Oliver Kliewe / Sun File Photo)

Cornell Architecture Programs Receive Top Rankings by Magazine

Cornell architecture faculty said they are “thrilled” about a report by magazine Architectural Record that ranked Cornell’s undergraduate and graduate programs first and second in the United States, respectively — according to department chair Prof. Mark Cruvellier, architecture.

The survey, conducted by research group Design Intelligence, asked professional practices and corporations to rank graduates from different schools, according to Architectural Record’s website.

(Oliver Kliewe / Sun File Photo)

Milstein Hall is one of the buildings that are part of the University’s College of Architecture, Art and Planning. (Oliver Kliewe / Sun File Photo)

Architectural Record is one of a few major architecture magazines in the United States, and its annual “America’s Best Architecture and Design Schools” survey has an impact similar to that of the U.S. News Report’s university rankings, according to Cruvellier.

“There are many different surveys out there, but this is generally the one that most schools refer to when they’re talking about school rankings,” Cruvellier said.

The magazine reported that Cornell’s undergraduate program has placed first nearly every year in the past decade. The more recently established graduate program “has been moving steadily up the ranks” and made a jump from fifth to second place this year, said Prof. Caroline O’Donnell, architecture.

Cruvellier attributed Cornell’s repeated recognition to talented students, top-notch facilities and exceptional faculty.

“The faculty who are here are highly qualified and highly dedicated to teaching,” Cruvellier said.

Prof. Jenny Sabin, architecture, added that “the rankings are a testament to the combined efforts of our faculty, students and staff.”

According to O’Donnell, the breadth of Cornell’s architecture curriculum also contributes to better preparing students for professional work.

“[We have] a curriculum that focuses on conceptual thinking and making, from the scale of the object to the scale of the globe, and believes in supporting each student’s individual path through the discipline,” O’Donnell said.

O’Donnell said she is excited that Architectural Record has continued to recognize Cornell’s distinction in the field.

“I am delighted that the world can see what we in the department all see: a truly excellent architecture program populated by students and faculty who love to constantly push the boundaries of the discipline,” O’Donnell said.

• Ithaca Resident

Not all that surprising and won’t really affect my food purchasing habits at these specified establishments all too much. As a professional in the local food industry myself, I’d argue large factor playing in to why some of these malpractices and health code violations occurred is due to lack of motivation or attention to detail on behalf of the food handlers. Many workers consider their job as a means to a paycheck, without realizing that their actions can have a severely detrimental effect on large populations (think if one of the main dishes in the dining hall gave hundreds or thousands of kids food poisoning). Although management is certainly partially to blame, as in the case of the Statler managers who failed to improve their food safety performance, overall, the core of the issue lies in the bottom-up approach (good, competent, motivated workers/hires coming first, followed by diligent management) , rather than top-down (good management creating effective workers out of existing staff and new hires). While management is certainly partially to blame, the majority of the fault lies on the faulty actions of the regualr workers

• Pingback: Cornell University Best Architecture Schools | architecture software()

• Pingback: Architectural Record Architecture School Ranking | Architecture Fan()