cornell-graffiti

Graffiti Reported on West Campus Prior to Ballinger ’17 Trial

Updated with additional information.

Following sexual assault charges levied against Wolfgang Ballinger ’17, at least two incidents of graffiti linking fraternities with rape allegations appeared on West Campus Monday.

Cornell police are currently investigating six incidents of graffiti, all reported since the president of Cornell’s Psi Upsilon fraternity was charged with sexual assault. One case of vandalism marked the north wall of the Psi Upsilon fraternity house.

Baker War Memorial Flagpole was painted with graffiti that read “All frats rape,” and a side door at the Delta Upsilon fraternity house was graffitied with the word “Rapist,” according to the Ithaca Voice. Both cases of graffiti were removed by Monday afternoon.

Other graffiti incidents marred the patio and house sign of the Chi Phi fraternity house, the house sign of the Delta Upsilon fraternity house and the glass of the University Avenue bus stop.

In the statement, police acknowledged that some of the other cases of graffiti could have occurred at an earlier date, but said “Each of the 6 cases … is under criminal investigation.”

The reports of graffiti follow a series of charges against Ballinger, who turned himself in to the police Friday, after investigators identified him with the victim’s assistance.

Ballinger’s lawyer announced Saturday that he plans to plead not guilty to counts of first-degree attempted rape, first-degree criminal act and first-degree sexual abuse.

Ballinger was released at his own recognizance at a preliminary hearing this morning. He did not appear in court  or present evidence at his hearing, and his case will proceed to the grand jury.

3 thoughts on “Graffiti Reported on West Campus Prior to Ballinger ’17 Trial

1. Now that’s having the courage of one’s convictions: grafitting in the dead of night.

Curious whether trespassers/vandalizers know they damaged university property with some houses and, if caught, will be treated harshly by this politically correct administration and newspaper.

2. Go to Lowes and Home Depot and review survailence footage at the time of spray paint purchases within the past few days. Maybe check wal mart too. There aren’t that many places that sell spraypaint.

3. In all the Letters to the Editor I read about the alleged Ballinger rape, I did not see one that addresses the physical and emotional problems the victim may have in the future. What does this say about the students at Cornell? Don’t they care about about what could turn out to be the worse aspect of this incident? What is taught in these alleged educational sessions Cornell talks about?