Cornell Republicans express tentative support for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tx.) for president.

Brendan Bannon / The New York Times

Cornell Republicans’ Choice: Cruz Rather Than Trump

Sen. Ted Cruz (R–Texas) is the most viable of the three remaining Republican presidential candidates, according to many members of the Cornell Republicans.

The group has been running semesterly straw polls of candidate preferences among its members since last spring, said Austin McLaughlin ’18, Secretary of the Cornell Republicans.

When the club began taking the straw polls, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, former Sen. Rick Santorum  (R-Pa.) and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) were the main contenders for the Republican nomination.

While Santorum was the most popular initially, Rubio was the favorite of the two in two subsequent polls, according to McLaughlin.

Rubio has since dropped out of the race, but Cruz has picked up much of Rubio’s supporters within the club, according to Jake Zhu ’18, First Vice Chair of the Cornell Republicans.

“I think 65 percent of Rubio’s support went to Cruz,” Zhu said.

Zhu added that the executive board’s support of Cruz has grown as well, saying that three of the six board members now support Cruz and the other three are undecided.

While the Cornell Republicans are composed of “a lot of libertarians, some Tea Party folks, general conservatives, some moderate Republicans,” and occasionally some Democrats, some members prioritize pragmatism over other factors, according to Mark LaPointe ’16, Chairman of the Cornell Republicans.

“Whoever gets the nomination has to go up against Hillary or Bernie,” LaPointe said.

While not in agreement with Cruz’s social policies, Zhu said he is drawn to his ambition and admires his ability to “energize the voters and mobilize us to to fight for conservative values.”

“I am not socially conservative, but Ted Cruz’s passion is what drives me to vote for him,” he said. “I like his passion and drive and rhetoric. His style of speech is what appeals me.”

Donald Trump, the national Republican frontrunner, lacks favorability within the student organization, according to LaPointe.

“The youth is less likely to support Donald Trump, from what I’ve discussed with the [Cornell] Republicans,” LaPointe said.

Widespread concern about Trump has led non-Cruz supporters within the club to support Kasich, according to LaPointe.

“A lot of people may think that Kasich can rally a broader ideological base than Cruz,” LaPointe said.

Zhu also attested to the lack of support for Trump within the Cornell Republicans. He said that on the club’s executive board, “nobody supports Trump.”

6 thoughts on “Cornell Republicans’ Choice: Cruz Rather Than Trump

1. Ted Cruz voted against extending benefits for 9/11 first responders!

Leaked phone records indicate Ted Cruz used DC Madam to hire prostitutes; the corrupt SCOTUS just decided that further information regarding the case should not be made available to the public. Cruz is all about protecting HIS privacy but continually votes to support the Patriot Act so the government can invade ours! Cruz also blatantly cheats in the elections. He insists that big money donations are free speech and is completely beholden to exploiters like the Koch brothers, Goldman Sachs, Robert Mercer, etc. He is a free-trading, war-mongering, privacy-invading, super-PAC abusing, exploiter-funded puppet who won’t secure our southern border to help stop the 90% of hardcore drugs here that come across it, support fair trade, stop policing the world, respect our privacy, stop corporations from undermining our democracy, or anything else the exploiters don’t want him to do.

Cruz is the typical politician who has done one or two things to try to gain cred with voters but has spent the rest of his career selling out America. It is a shame that people are so easily fooled into supporting all the slick-talking, two-faced lawyers in DC (Clinton, Obama, Cruz, SCOTUS, etc.) selling out our country to the parasitic exploiters.

• Yup. It’s even kinda sad. Who would not question such news, and not do a smidgen of due diligence in checking into the veracity of such claims? How can their minds freely accept this nonsense?

2. Not a fan of Cruz and his slimy tactics to get votes. No thanks to that. He is part of the problem with today’s so-called “leaders” that are more concerned with serving “We The Government” than “We The People” who are electing them. And speaking of which, I think we should go by popular vote, not electoral vote now. Almost everyone has Internet connectivity or a way to cast a ballot these days. And I think that a popular vote would be a better representation of what the people want Just my opinion.

• A popular vote would lead candidates to focus on heavily populated areas, especially New York and California. It would no longer be necessary for candidates on either side to appeal to people across the country. The electoral system guarantees that candidates must campaign across the country (because it is not enough for a Republican to JUST win the south or for a Democrat to JUST win the northeast)

As the idea of the Internet to cast votes: here’s the main problem: if you think (or even if you don’t) that voter fraud is a problem, then the Internet intensifies it. Sophisticated parties can game the system in a much bigger way. When you show up in person to vote, it would be insanely difficult to swing an election through voter fraud (because even if you add an extra 20 votes, it really doesn’t add much). But a hacker with a code? That could several thousand votes.

3. Trump spox-idiot Katrina Pierson: Trump’s Muslim ban promise is just like Obama’s ‘keep your doctor’ promise!
    http://therightscoop.com/trump-spox-says-trumps-muslim-ban-promise-is-just-like-obamas-keep-your-doctor-promise/

Umm gee.. so Trump’s political campaign pomises (aka suggestions) are the same as Obama’s politcal campaign promises.. lol Well, we all know how great Obama’s campaign promises worked out.. It’s amazing how much people (Trumpkins) are manipulated and so easily duped by the most demagoging cult of personalities, and they don’t even blink an eye about it and it’s overt insane hypocrisy.. shock and surprise..

From his buiding the wall rhetoric.. to his ban on muslims he has said was only a suggestion like Obamacare promises.. to his tax plan he now retracked, to his paying of the national debt he has now backed off of.. to his tariff threats he knows will only harm American businesses and jobs, Donald Trump is not a great communicator, Donald Trump is the great Obama-esque con man manipulator, and of course the Trumpkin sheeple blindly follow him like he’s the great pied piper.. lol
    .

Trumpkin’s, as well as Obamabots and Hillarycrats are delusional brain-dead cultist comatosed zombies, which means Trumpkins, as well as Obamabots and Hillarycrats could care less about anything their cult of personality dear leader says or does, even if their dear leader admits to wanting to exterminate the Jews.

“Donald Trump and the Cult of Personality”
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3386056/posts
    quote
    “Power,” Henry Kissinger once told The New York Times, “is the ultimate aphrodisiac.” Kissinger might amend that statement today: Now, fame is power, and thus replaces power as the ultimate aphrodisiac. In fact, fame isn’t just an aphrodisiac — it’s the ultimate nepenthe, a drug causing forgetfulness. The more famous our politicians are, the more we neglect their positions and character. No wonder the most admired woman in America is criminal Hillary Clinton, the most admired man is criminal Barack Obama, and the second-most admired man is loudmouth Donald Trump.

Our celebrities have become royals, and our politicians have become celebrities. That means we crown ourselves a king or queen every four years. America needs no kings and queens. We need unimportant, decent people who focus on how to make themselves unimportant in our lives.

But that’s not what we get. Instead, we get glitz and glamour, fun and frolicking with the people who control our freedoms. That’s dangerous. ”
    unquote

Just as with Obama – never let the facts of evidence truth reality get in the way of the cult of personality dear leader idolization worship.