The Cornell Republicans have been reinstated in the New York Federation of College Republicans after several dramatic weeks.

Courtesy of the New York Federation of College Republicans Facebook page

N.Y. Federation of College Republicans Revokes Recognition of Cornell Chapter Following Johnson Endorsement

This post has been updated.

The New York Federation of College Republicans acted Sunday to revoke its recognition of the Cornell Republicans, calling it “unacceptable” for the party-affiliated organization to endorse Independent candidate Gary Johnson for president.

On Friday, the Cornell Republicans issued a statement announcing that they would break from their party to support Johnson’s ticket, a decision they described as a driven by both the diversity of the club’s ideological makeup and an adherence to conservative values.

Under pressure from the New York federation, the Cornell Republicans were confronted with two options — they could either revoke their endorsement of Johnson or see their own recognition revoked. Club leadership refused to retract their support of the Libertarian candidate.

The New York Federation of College Republicans voted to take “swift action” in light of this endorsement, by revoking the credentials of the Cornell chapter for the fall semester. This conclusion was reached by a 6-3 vote, carried out by the federation’s chair, vice-chair, secretary, treasurer and six regional chairs.

The Cornell Republicans may apply to reform in the spring and individual members may apply for individual credentials, the federation’s statement said. In the meantime, the club may be unable to operate normally, a penalty that could have severe impact on new member recruitment and general funding.

Olivia Corn ’19, the Cornell Republicans’ chair, said that despite possible limitations, club leadership is committed to doing everything possible this fall to recruit new members and “resume business as usual” — with a small name change.

In a statement Saturday, the Cornell Republicans announced that “after being threatened with a lawsuit” they will temporarily change the group’s name to the Cornell Conservatives.

The revocation of credentials also dictates an organization or member’s eligibility to participate in “any Federation programming, including but not limited to our Academic Fellowship and any Federation events” the federation said. These events, including the Fall Conference, feature prominent Republican speakers and have been visited regularly by the Cornell Republicans in the past.

“The Cornell Republicans will stand by our principles and not fall in line with a Trump henchman,” said Executive Director Austin McLaughlin ’18, responding to the revocation.

The original call to revoke the credentials of the Cornell Republicans was issued by the federation’s chair, Eli Nachmany, New York University — who indicates on his LinkedIn profile that he is currently working for Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. Cornell Republicans Chair Olivia Corn ’19 said she was “personally outraged” that Nachmany called for the vote without attempting to contact the club’s executive board.

“I am looking into whether or not [the federation] has the legal ability to [revoke recognition],” Corn said Saturday. “All I ask of the Cornell community is that they stand behind us during this difficult time in our fight for free speech and moral principles.”

In a statement responding to the endorsement’s backlash, the Cornell Republicans continued to maintain that Johnson is “the most fiscally conservative” candidate in the race, and stressed that the endorsement was made by popular decision.

“Whether you’re a Libertarian, a disenchanted Democrat who feels that party has shifted too far to the left, a social conservative, a moderate independent, or a business Republican, you have a home here,” the statement says.

While many college chapters of Republicans both nationally and locally have wavered on whether to endorse nominee Donald Trump — some renouncing his candidacy outright — this severe state-wide reaction to a club’s decision is unprecedented.

On Aug. 30, the Ithaca College Republicans issued a statement asserting that they could not support Trump for president, blatantly saying, “We don’t support every Republican candidate.” However, the group stopped short of endorsing a candidate outside of the Republican party and affirmed its commitment to work for Republican candidates at other levels of government, thus avoiding the ire of the state federation.

The New York Federation explained the strict penalty saying that it would have been acceptable for Cornell Republicans to refuse to endorse Trump, but it is inadmissible for the group to support any other party’s candidate.

On its website, the New York Federation of College Republicans lists its first two priorities as to promote Republican ideals across college campuses and to ensure Republicans are elected at all levels of government. The federation claims to be composed of over 1,000 student Republicans across New York.

“We feel that this is a fair and measured, but firm response to the Cornell chapter’s decision,” the federation’s statement said of the decision.

The Cornell Republicans responded to this “fair and measured” course of action by deriding what they called the hypocrisy of a party organization suppressing differing viewpoints when it claims devotion to free speech.

“For a group who claims to support free speech on college campuses, [the federation] seem to be suppressing a crucial debate that needs to take place for the sake of the survival of the Republican Party,” the statement argues.

23 thoughts on “N.Y. Federation of College Republicans Revokes Recognition of Cornell Chapter Following Johnson Endorsement

1. Will this result in a loss of monetary support or some other resources? If not, why should anybody care what the NY Federation of College Republicans think? It’s insane how they intend to chasitize people for having minds of their own, especially since Trump is to the left of Hillary once you get past the rhetoric and campaign BS.

2. Pingback: NY Federation of College Republicans Revokes Recognition of Cornell Chapter Following Johnson Endorsement - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun | Politics Informer

3. Cornell Republicans should have endorsed Trump. I am a Cornell student and Republican and I fully support him. So disturbed by the CR leadership who must be intent on losing

• Cornell Republicans are too scared to change their names to Cornell Independents. They are not endorsing Republicans, but they want the name. They are showing little respect for actual voters, and seem like a bunch of drama majors (sorry, no insult to real theatre majors) who are begging for relevancy.

Elections have consequences, even if the pampered brats of the College Republicans don’t quite grasp the fact. Where were they in the primaries?

4. Can someone point me to a copy of the NY Federation of College Republicans’ Constitution? They do not have it on their website.

5. Pingback: N.Y. Federation of College Republicans Revokes Recognition of Cornell Chapter Following Johnson Endorsement – A WordPress Site

6. The lead paragraph in this story indicates that Gary Johnson is an Independent candidate. I believe he’s actually the Libertarian candidate.

7. If Trump wins, the Republican Party is dead. Every Republican politician and every Republican organization that does not denounce Trump before election day will carry that albatross around their necks forever after. They might as well be convicted pedophiles and hope to win elected office after that.

8. The NYS Federation should thank the Cornell Republicans:
    1) They thought of a constructive alternative without just saying “Never Trump” which is a vacuous statement.
    2) Since it is highly unlikely that Ithaca will vote Trump, they are likely helping the incumbent Republican Congressman, by helping to disassociate him from Trump.
    3) While, personally, I believe that Trump has been demonized beyond the realities of his ability to offend people, and the limits of US Presidential power; this endorsement certainly helps the perception that these young Republicans are not neo-Nazis.

Its interesting how parties and perceptions swing. Ithaca’s first woman State Assembly Woman, and Cornell’s first woman Vice President (Constance Cook) was a Republican. By today’s standards, she would be considered “Left” of Bernie. Although she had more dignity and bearing than either major party candidate this year.

• Old Alum wrote:

“ Since it is highly unlikely that Ithaca will vote Trump, they are likely helping the incumbent Republican Congressman, by helping to disassociate him from Trump.”

Why should the Cornell Republicans want to disassociate our Congressman, Tom Reed, from Donald Trump. Reed certainly doesn’t want to disassociate from Donald Trump. Take a look at the first minute of this video and watch Reed as he introduces Trump. Note that this video was made several days AFTER Trump made a comment that many interpret as a call to assassinate President Clinton if her Supreme Court picks limit the 2nd Amendment.

Watch Tom Reed as he says:

“I’m proud to have been an early endorser of Donald J. Trump, and I introduce to you a good man, a good family person, and somebody who I am proud to call a friend, and soon to be able to call the next president of the United States, Donald J. Trump.”

Donald Trump? A good family man??? You might have trouble convincing Ivana Trump, who once used the word “rape” in a divorce deposition to describe an encounter with Donald in 1989. She later recanted the use of the term “rape”, but she still said she had felt violated during the incident.

I encourage you to read this article that discusses this story. Pay attention to Trump’s lawyer, who incorrectly states that Trump could not possibly have raped his wife because, “You cannot rape your spouse . . .There’s very clear case law.”

Also pay attention to how Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen tried to thuggishly intimidate the Daily Beast’s reporter from filing this story.

“I will make sure that you and I meet one day while we’re in the courthouse. And I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know,” Cohen said. “So I’m warning you, tread very fucking lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be fucking disgusting. You understand me?”

Marla Maples might also disagree with Reed’s assessment that Trump is a good family man. But I’m sure Melania would agree with Reed’s assessment that Trump is a good family man. I just hope for her sake that she doesn’t age or get into an accident that affects her looks. This is from a profile of Melania Trump by Juila Ioffe.

——————Start Ioffe quote——————————

“I work very hard from early in the morning till late in the evening,” Donald told Larry King in 2005. “I don’t want to go home and work at a relationship.” To the twice-divorced Donald, Melania is terrific. He’s never heard her fart or make doodie, as he once told Howard Stern. (Melania has said the key to the success of her marriage is separate bathrooms.) He can trust her to take her birth control every day, he boasted to Stern; she’s just amazing that way. She has the perfect proportions—five feet eleven, 125 pounds—and great boobs, which is no trivial matter. Stern once asked Trump what he would do if Melania were in a terrible car accident, God forbid, and lost the use of her left arm, developed an oozing red splotch near her eye, and mangled her left foot. Would Donald stay with her?

“How do the breasts look?” Trump asked.

———————-End Ioffe quote————————————

Getting back to Tom Reed—I have published an open letter in the Ithaca Journal asking him to repudiate Donald Trump.

If Reed wants to disassociate himself from Trump he is more than capable of doing so. So far he has not.

9. Pingback: Cornell Republicans | endorse Johnson | lose credentials

10. As a Cornell alum, I think the Cornell College Republicans are a bunch of jerks. They should change their name and be the Cornell Independents. Gary Johnson was rejected by the Republican primary voters (and everyone else). We have primaries for a reason. My guy didn’t win, so if I chose not to vote for my party’s “survivor”, then I am no longer a member of that party. I can be a registered independent, a democrat, or unaffiliated.

11. I love how these “kids” endorse Johnson and a few days later Johnson doesn’t even know the name of a major city in the Syrian conflict.

It’s so sad that the kids of these “elite” universities have no clue.

• Unlike Donald Trump who was able to predict the Iraq war was a mistake with 20/20 hindsight in 2004, then lie about it in 2016 by saying he was against the war before it started, and have his clueless followers just lap it up.