Generic Cornell

Sun File Photo

Cornell Faces New Lawsuit Alleging Gender Bias in Title IX Investigation Process

An updated version of this post is here.

Cornell University is again being sued by a male student who claims he was mistreated while being investigated for sexual misconduct.

The suit — which was filed in a federal district court on Wednesday, according to The Ithaca Journal — comes nearly four months after Cornell lost a similar case in January. In that case, a New York judge ruled that the University was “arbitrary” and “capricious” in refusing to investigate a male student’s claim of sexual misconduct against a female student who had in turn accused him of the same offense.

This decisive court loss was not the end of Cornell’s complicated relationship with Title IX — federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education.

In early February, the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights opened its nation-leading sixth Title IX investigation against the University. A month later, in early March, participants in an open forum held by OCR investigators railed the University for its handling of sexual misconduct complaints.

In the new suit, the unidentified male complainant alleges that the University wrongfully suspended him, failed to give him due process in its investigation and improperly refused to investigate his own sexual misconduct allegations against the same woman who accused him of sexual misconduct, according to The Journal.

The complainant says that the University’s alleged mistreatment caused emotional distress and his grades to drop.

The suit also names as a defendant Jody Kunk-Czaplicki, according to The Journal. Kunk-Czaplicki was the University’s acting Judicial Administrator when the events that led to the suit took place, but she is no longer a staff member in the JA’s office, according to the JA’s website.

The suit singles out Kunk-Czaplicki in part because she issued a “non-negotiable temporary suspension” and a no-contact order against the male complainant without ever talking to him or informing him of the charges against him, according to The Journal.

Kunk-Czaplicki’s issue of temporary suspension was reversed on appeal, but her judgment was soon vindicated: University Title IX investigator Elizabeth McGrath recommended that the male student be suspended for at least a year, according to The Journal. The student complains in the suit that this decision was made “without any cross-examination,” The Journal reported.

6 thoughts on “Cornell Faces New Lawsuit Alleging Gender Bias in Title IX Investigation Process

1. There is bias in all areas at Cornell. Most Deans dole out named chairs to their friends. Giving a named chair is discretionary for the Deans so name the amount of minorities who have been given chairs. Many minority professors have taught for years and years while young professors are giving this honor right of the bat. You can count the minority professors on one hand who have a named chair professorship.

2. Universities should not be dealing with sexual assault cases at all. Although they have their many faults, police departments are at least capable of holding proper investigations that are (usually) fair to all parties, and they can report their findings to the University for them to add additional sanctions (e.g., expulsion, suspension of a fraternity, etc.). There is no reason that such serious allegations should be handled by a kangaroo court of incapable administrators.

3. This post should be updated to reflect the fact that the Court ordered Cornell to conduct an investigation into whether E. McGrath was actually guilty of gender bias, and she has since resigned from her role at Cornell University.

4. Right now, if a female accuses a male he’s automatically found guilty, whether there’s evidence or not. The only way this will stop is if there are enough lawsuits and OCR complaints that Cornell becomes as afraid of discriminating against males as they are of saying a guy was not (or may not have been) guilty.

5. Pingback: LAWSUIT: Cornell refused to investigate female student's alleged rape of fraternity member - The College Fix

6. There would never be bias against men cuz of the patriarchy. Women are only and always the victims so the system should assume that – #ibelieveher.

I’m being facetious but there are many who say this with all seriousness. How many lawsuits will it take before Cornell and other schools clean house? They are not even following their own policies that are designed to make it as easy as possible to find against students.