3-30 admissions rate

Graphic by Brian LaPlaca / Sun Design Editor

Cornell Hits Record Low Admissions Rate

Cornell accepted 12.5 percent of applicants to the Class of 2021 out of 47,038 candidates, setting a record for number of applications and a record-low admissions rate.

The 5,889 students who were admitted were notified at 5 p.m. Thursday. Another 5,713 students were placed on the wait list.

This year’s admitted class includes 1,777 students — 30.2 percent of the class — who self-identify as underrepresented minorities. The figure represents a new record for the third year in a row according to the University. Students of color — which include underrepresented minority students and Asian American students — represent 52.5 percent of the class, an increase from last year’s figure of 49 percent.

The prospective class is made up of almost 9 percent international students, representing 96 countries around the world. Canada, China, India, South Korea, Singapore and the United Kingdom are among the countries most represented.

Among domestic students, all 50 states are represented, in addition to Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The states that are most represented outside of New York are California, Florida, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Over 700 first-generation students were admitted and 200 admitted students are recruited athletes.

In January 2018, 60 freshmen are expected to enroll as part of the First-Year Spring Admission program, which was recently reestablished in 2015.

“This year’s admitted class continues to raise the bar on what it means to be outstanding,” said Director of Undergraduate Admissions Shawn Felton in a press release. “I am pleased that we are, once again, well on our way toward our goals to broaden and diversify the incoming class.”

Associate Vice Provost for Enrollment Jason Locke said the increased applicant numbers reflect the desirability of a Cornell education.

“We have admitted an extraordinarily gifted and accomplished class of scholars,” Locke said in the release. “We look forward to showcasing Cornell’s exceptional academic offerings and vibrant student experience during our many admitted student events in April.”

The University expects 1,800 admitted students to visit campus during Cornell Days between April 13 and April 24, the annual visitation event for admitted students.

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept Cornell’s offer of admission.

• Cute Baby Elephant With Big Floppy Ears

Record low number of White students! Yay! We did it y’all!

So much diversity of skin color but how much diversity of thought? Hmm?

Gotta recruit those athletes. Because if you can’t slam dunk a ball through a hoop, you’re a failure as a human being.

Good to see an Ivy League school putting such an emphasis on one’s prowess at “leaping and creeping” HAHAHAHAHA

• Cute Baby Possum

So, 22 + 9 or 31% of students are Asian?

That’s weird: so when Whites are over-represented, it’s due to racism and and “the old boys club.” but when Asians are over-represented, it’s because they value education?

What’s that I smell? A double standard?

Something’s rotten in the state of New York

• Cute Baby Panda

You do realize they actually underadmit Asian students as well?

• Fuzzy Bumble Bee

Sure do. However, Asians only complain about quotas and diversity mandates when such measures adversely affect them and could care less when such measures disenfranchise White students.

• What

Asians are totally overrepresented at Cornell proportionately to their proportion of the US population

• lz

Agreed

• Cute Baby Possum Wants Snuggles

“accomplished class of scholars” ???

How can one be deemed a scholar before attending university? Pretty sure a 17 year old isn’t a scholar

but keep devaluing terms like “scholar” it’s all part of the assault on the English language

• Alex

Scholarship is defined as “a person who is highly educated or has an aptitude for study.” Pretty sure that if you get into Cornell, you’re already a scholar lol. Might want to get off of your pedantic high-horse and accept the evolution of language.

• Cute Baby Hippo Wants a Hug

So we can start referring to those who were admitted to medical school as “doctors” ?

Pretty sure getting through high school isn’t such a big deal.

A scholar is someone who has spent a significant portion of life in contemplation and study, which at 17, is pretty much impossible.

• Anonymous

This seems to be a verbatim copy of the Cornell News Service article: http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/03/admitted-class-21-sets-new-application-diversity-records

• GoalNoWhites

Whites are extremely underrepresented at Cornell. US is 65% non-Hispanic white. Diversity here means less people of European descent, nothing else.

• Reality Check

Where’s the info on early decision admissions, which does not seem to have been reported by The Sun or by Cornell? An independent blog suggests that some 40% of the class of ’21 (about 1,375 students) has already been identified. See: https://blog.ivywise.com/blog-0/class-of-2021-early-admission-rates

• james beard

5000 wait list????? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

• geoff

most people do not realize that the Bronx high school of science with an entrance exam is 87% Asian although they might represent at best 2% of the cities population not sure if that is fare either since citywide taxes pay for these programs

• Cute Baby Emu Wants a Num num

Asians make up way more than 2% of NYC’s population. Probably closer to like 30%. There are like 3 million Chinese alone in NYC. But yes, they are dramatically over-represented at the magnet schools.

When Asians are over-represented, the response is: “They earned it. They work hard. They value education.”

When Whites, particularly white men, are over-represented, the response is: “Racism. We need to work hard to diversify!”

Seeing the double standard yet?

• what the fuck

Why are you just making things up? As of 2012 there were about 750,000 Chinese people in all of NYC. The city’s population in 2010 was 44% white, 25.5% black, 0.7% Native American, and 12.7% Asian. Hispanics of any race represented 28.6% of the population. This is literally copy and pasted from wikipedia and all of it is verified by the census here: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/RHI105210/3651000

It takes 30 seconds to find this data. Stop making up bull shit because you’re bored.

• alum

You do realize that 3 million Chinese people would be 35% of the population of NYC? And then you said that ALL Asians are 30% of NYC? Not only is 3 million incorrect, you’re literally making this shit up as you go. Please leave.

• Pingback: The class of 2021 is shattering Ivy League admissions records()

• Sue

36 ACT, 4.7 GPA, 4.0 uw. 800 SAT2 scores. Over a dozen AP classes and scores of 5. Not enough to overcome being white this year at Cornell. Go State!