Julia Nagel/Sun Assistant Photography Editor

Cornell students in Ithaca must take between two and three surveillance tests a week, depending on University policy.

Here’s What the New ‘Daily Check’ Looks Like

As of Feb. 4, the Daily Check — a mainstay in the lives of all Cornell students in Ithaca — has been given a slight makeover.

The short, online questionnaire asks students, faculty and staff if they’ve experienced  COVID-19 symptoms, been in contact with someone who tested positive, think they may have been exposed or have ever tested positive.

The form is intended to prevent those who could have COVID-19 from going to campus and infecting others. Students must answer “no” to all of the questions to be cleared to go to campus.

If a student, staff member or faculty member answers “yes” to any of the questions, they’ll receive a “red” status — forbidding them from coming to campus until they’re cleared by a telehealth appointment. Students who answer a question “yes” are required to make an appointment with Cornell Health. Employees’ telemedicine visits are with Cayuga Health.

The Daily Check fulfills a New York state requirement for employees to receive a coronavirus-related health screening before they come to campus, according to John Carberry, a University spokesperson.

“The Daily Check questions were developed last summer in conjunction with public health experts,” Carberry wrote in a statement to The Sun. “Since then, scientists have learned more about the virus, and some of the Daily Check questions were changed to give better guidance on the assessment of exposure and symptoms.”

Here’s a look at the new daily questions:

1. In the last 3 days, have you been feeling any different than usual? Have you had any symptoms linked to COVID-19? This could include being tired; having a dry cough or a fever; having a headache or sore throat; feeling achy or being congested; losing smell or taste. Other symptoms are listed here.
  2. In the past 2 weeks, have you been around someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or someone that you think might have COVID-19?
  3. Do you have any reason to think that you may have been exposed to COVID-19? This could be through recent travel, gathering with people, community exposure or other reason.
  4. Have you ever tested positive for COVID-19?

Correction: A previous version of this story said all telemedicine appointments resulting from a “red” status take place with Cornell Health. Students’ appointments are with Cornell Health, but employees’ are with Cayuga Health.