W. Swimmers Head to Pa.

After a tough loss to Ivy rivals Penn and Princeton, the Cornell women’s swimming and diving team looks to rebound this weekend at the Penn State Invitational.

At Teagle Hall Nov. 18, the Red lost to the Quakers by a score of 185-115, and 167-122 to the always tough Tigers.

Also over the winter break, the women will return to Ithaca early to swim against Yale on Jan. 14, then travel to Londonville, N.Y., to face Siena and Binghamton on Jan. 17.

The Red is off to a slow start this year with a 1-3 overall record in the Ivies, with its only win coming against Dartmouth (218-81) on Nov. 11.

There have been many stars though throughout the season. Sophomore Courtney Tawresey has won three individual events. She leads the Red in individual victories.

As for the divers, senior Lisa Dughi and sophomore Elizabeth Druy have made a significant contributions to the overall scores for the squad. Dughi won the 1-meter dive against Harvard and Dartmouth with a score of 250.10, with Druy finishing third in the 3-meter in both of the women’s meets.

The men are off this weekend, coming off an out-of-conference win against Binghamton last Tuesday, but will return to action on Jan. 13, when they travel to New Haven to face-off with Yale and Navy. The Red will also face Army over the break, at Teagle, on Jan. 20.

The men are also off to a somewhat slow start with an overall record of 1-2 (0-2 Ivy).

Cornell won eight out of the 13 total events at Binghamton, defeating the Bearcats in only 57 minutes.

The first meet after the break for the men and women will be at Colgate on Jan. 27.

Archived article by Josh Vlasto