Wrestling Team Gambles Luck in Las Vegas Invite

The Cornell wrestling team heads into a busy winter break slate of matches today as it heads westward to compete in the prestigious Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational at Stateline, Nevada. Adding to the challenge of an already difficult tournament is the recent tragedy of freshman Graham Morin’s death, which will be in the minds of all the wrestlers as they take to the mat this weekend.

The tournament will be held today and tomorrow, and will feature some difficult competition such as Central Washington, Wyoming, Michigan, Buffalo, Cal State Fullerton, Illinois, Cal State Bakersfield, Ohio State, Arizona State, San Diego State, Pittsburgh, North Idaho, Southern Colorado, George Mason, and head coach Rob Koll?s alma mater, North Carolina.

The Red has faced the Tarheels once already this season, in the Cornell Invitational. In that tourney, the opening one of the year and the only action the Big Red has seen so far this year, Cornell beat UNC to take a first place finish.

After the Las Vegas meet, Cornell will take a four-week hiatus for finals and Christmas and will return to action on December 29-30 for the Midlands Tournament, another highly competitive meet which will be held at Northwestern, in Evanston, Illinois. The Red finished in 22nd at Midlands last winter.

Cornell will return to home action on January 5, where it will take on Virginia in its first dual meet of the year.

The Red then will reciprocate by traveling south to Virginia for a weekend of dual meets on January 12-13.

Finally, Cornell will wrap up its winter break schedule with the New York State Championships on January 20-21. The tournament will be held at Nassau Community College.

The Red will have to wrestle not only their opponents, but with the difficulty of dealing with Morin?s death, caused by cardiac arrest during a practice on Saturday. Morin played an important role in the team win over North Carolina at the Cornell Invitational, chipping in with a second-place finish in his first collegiate meet. The squad will feel his absence, both in terms of points as well as spiritually.

Archived article by Alex Fineman