Grapplers Take On State Foes

The wrestling team will compete in the New York State Championships this weekend at Nassau Community College in its last tournament action before the curtain rises on the Ivy League season next Saturday.

Last weekend, the Red took part in the Virginia Duals in Hampton, Va., defeating Old Dominion but fell to Rider and Wisconsin. Against the second-seeded Badgers, Cornell matched its opponents 16-16 but lost on a close decision.

Senior Leo Urbinelli, in the 157-pound weight-class, proved how integral he is to the squad, going 3-0 during the competition. Jim Stanec, Clint Wattenberg and Tom Waldron all captured two of their three bouts.

On January 5, Cornell hammered the University of Virginia on home turf at Newman Arena by a score of 25-12. Urbinelli once again played a key role, defeating the Cavaliers’ Don Carlo-Clauss, 7-2. Wattenberg, Stanec, Corey Anderson, Sean Wing, and Alejandro Alvarez all toppled their opponents to finish off the Cornell’s scoring total.

Despite dropping the first three weight classes, the Red claimed victory in six of the next seven against the Cavs.

Currently, the Red owns a record of 2-1-1 and has also placed 1st at the Cornell Invitational as well as 15th in the Las Vegas Open.

After fight for bragging rights in the Empire State this weekend, Cornell will host Penn next Saturday before traveling to Columbia and Hofstra the weekend thereafter.

Archived article by Shiva Nagaraj