M. Hoops Plays Final Home Matches of Year

After halting its 15-game losing streak against Princeton last weekend, the Red looks to jump on the momentum train. Cornell entertains Brown tonight and Yale the following evening. Both contests begin at 7:30 p.m. in Newman Arena.

Tonight’s tilt could prove to be the more difficult of the two tasks. The Bears have won four straight Ivy League games, including an 85-52 win at the expense of the Red. Its winning streak began on Feb. 2, with a close win over Columbia. Brown then successively defeated Cornell, Harvard and Dartmouth to improve its mark to 5-4. Brown’s recent success can be attributed to the superb play of Earl Hunt.

“Brown totally annihilated us the first time we played,” head coach Steve Donahue bemoaned. “This time we need to play better in transition and contain Earl Hunt.”

Against the first place Elis, the Red will play a similar game to its winning effort in New Haven, Conn. Still, Yale is playing well as of late, coming off a 66-59 victory over Harvard

“We executed on offense in our last game against Yale,” Donahue proudly exclaimed.

The Red will need the offensive potency of its senior tri-captains, Ray Mercedes, Greg Barratt and Kevin Cuttica. With Mercedes’ hustle, Barratt’s rebounding and Cuttica’s sweet touch, these senior leaders will be called to duty to provide the Red with an emotional lift.

“Ray has been doing a great job,” Donahue stated in regards to Mercedes’ play as of late. “He played two great games last weekend.”

Junior point guard Wallace Prather dazzled the crowd last weekend with his flawless effort. He recorded 30 points, zero turnovers, seven assists, and 8-8 shooting from the charity stripe. The Red will need another heroic effort from Prather this weekend.

Donahue also looks forward to a similar sixth man advantage at Newman Arena as last week’s crowds propelled the Red to outstanding play.

Archived article by Jason Skolnik