Softball Plays in Philadephia for Weekend

The Cornell women’s softball team (3-3-0) will be heading down to Philadelphia this weekend to take on St. Joesph’s and Drexel University. In a three year history this road trip has battled inclement weather throughout, yielding only three games of the planned eight. Cornell is prepared to make up for missed time, though.

Coming off of a 3-3 weekend at the Dixie Classic in Virginia Beach, the Red is looking forward to getting outside again. After droping two games last Friday, the team turned around and went 3-1 on Saturday, winning the consolation bracket in the tournament. With its first outdoor experience under its belt, the team is looking to improve its record to 5-3 in Philadelphia.

Of this weekend’s competition, senior captain Charlotte Brombach recognized the formidable nature of the teams.

“We will definitely have a challenge waiting for us in Philly,” she said.

Understanding this challenge, the Red is prepared and rather excited to play again. More importantly, Cornell recognizes the advantages that a strong showing could have for the rest of the season. Brombach says that this weekend could be good for getting the team in the right frame of mind.

“The goal for the weekend is to create more momentum. This could be a catapult for the rest of the season,” she said.

Encountering two very strong ball clubs, this will not be an easy trip. St. Joesph’s features a tough pitcher with decent speed and an array of challenging pitches. A well coached team, it should give Cornell a good game.

Overall, Brombach is very enthusiastic about the season and her fellow players:

“As a team we see a lot of potential, the team really has a lot of heart.”

Up next for the Red is the Rebel Games down in Florida during spring beak. Brombach noted that this weekend would give the team more experience before it heads down south.

Right now, however, the Red is just focusing on the present.

“We are definitely taking it one game at time, they all count for the same thing,” finished up Brombach.

This focus on the here and now will begin tomorrow at Drexel at 1p.m.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss