Dartmouth Sweeps Baseball

The baseball team finally returned to East Hill late last night after an extended weekend of Ivy League play, but its bat felt a little heavier and its head hung a little lower.

After splitting a pair of games with Harvard on Saturday, Dartmouth announced that its field was unplayable due to snow and Cornell relocated to nearby Hamden, Conn., the site of Quinnipiac University’s diamond. On Sunday, however, the Red woke up to a rain-soaked infield and the games were moved to yesterday afternoon. In the opener of the twinbill, Dartmouth pulled in front by a nose to take the game 12-11. The Big Green used the momentum from its win to take the nightcap by a score of 11-4.

The same time last year, almost midway through the season, the Red was toting a 4-4 Ivy record. It had suffered a two-game sweep by Harvard’s minions, split two with both Dartmouth and Brown, and took a pair from Yale.

Fast-forward to this season, and the team is hanging on with a 2-4 conference mark. Cornell claimed one out of two from both the Crimson and the Bulldogs, and fell twice against the Big Green. However, there are still 24 games left this season, including 12 Ivy contests and the Red does have more room to tinker with and maneuver its line-up.

The tinkering and maneuvering will begin tomorrow when Cornell hosts a double-header against Binghamton. In 19 match-ups since 1892, the Red holds a 15-4 advantage.

On the year, the Bearcats have put up an 8-17-1 record. The team has gone 2-6 in its last eight games.

Junior pitcher Jeff Montani is the staff ace with a 3-2 record as of April 5. Senior third baseman Tim Macko leads the team with a .388 batting average.

The two games against Binghamton will commence at 1 p.m. The games will be played at Hoy Field.

Archived article by Katherine Granish