Men's Tennis Closes Out Strong Season With Split

The men’s tennis team ended its Ivy League season with a weekend split and its best conference record since1982. The team won a close 4-3 match against Penn on Friday afternoon before losing to Princeton by the same score yesterday.

The men (14-6, 3-4 Ivy) went into Philadelphia against the Quakers (9-10, 1-5) trying to improve their Ivy League record from last year, and they did.

Sweep

The Red began the day sweeping the three doubles matches thus earning the first point of the match. From there on No. 2 seeded junior Chris Lewis, No. 4 freshman Zach Gallin and No. 6 sophomore Mike Mestel secured the victory as all three won their matches. Both Gallin’s and Mestel’s went into three sets. Junior Stephan Paulovic suffered defeat in the most exciting match of the day as he ended losing in a tie break, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (4).

The team returned to East Hill to face Princeton (9-9, 4-2) yesterday, trying to bolster its league record to the first winning season since 1963.

End of a Career

Senior co-captain Greg Artzt ended his collegiate career on a win in the No. 3 spot against Trevor Smith, 6-4, 6-1. Gallin and Paulovic had the two other points for the Red in the No. 4 and No. 5 spots. Gallin won his 6-2, 7-6 (4, while Paulovic redeemed himself from the earlier match as he won the third set tiebeak to take the match 6-0, 2-6, 7-6 (3).

Unblemished

The doubles tandem of senior co-captain Mike Halperin and Paulovic and singles player Gallin went undefeated on the weekend.

Although Halperin was victorious on the doubles front, the No. 1 seed was swept on the weekend. He ends his Ivy League career on a four-match losing streak, his first losses after winning all of his conference matches last year.

Archived article by Amanda Angel