Dems Seek Candidate To Fill Seat

The fate of the recently vacated position on the Common Council will be decided today at a meeting of the 4th Ward Democratic Committee.

Alderman Josh Glasstetter ’01 (D-4th Ward), who was the first student to serve on the Council, left his post for personal and academic reasons, leaving the Committee to select another to serve in his place.

“[The meeting’s] agenda is to try to identify a Democratic candidate to run on the ballot in the November election for the seat that Josh is vacating,” said Jane Pedersen, who was defeated by Glasstetter in the 1999 Common Council election. Pederson is also an associate dean in Cornell’s College of Arts and Sciences.

“Setting the precedent of being a student on [Common] council is my biggest accomplishment,” Glasstetter said earlier this week.

He resigned from his position at the beginning of the month after only two years in office. As his motivations he cited personal reasons along with the wish to take a stand against the currently established four-year terms. In addition, other officials disputed whether Glasstetter was an influential member of the Common Council, as he frequently missed meetings during his term.

“Meetings at 10 or 11 [p.m.] are common, but difficult to make. I did have some problems with being with the [Common] council, … with my own personal conflicts and activities — balancing it all,” admitted Glasstetter earlier this week.

Whether the new member will be a student or not is yet to be seen.

According to Pedersen, “It is possible that there may be other candidates — Republicans, Greens, or Independents — who would want to run for the same seat. The deadline for filing to be on the ballot is Oct. 3.”

There have been questions raised as to whether Glasstetter’s unexpected announcement has negatively affected the selection process by curtailing the period of time during which prospective candidate could apply for the candidacy.

“It’s been an abbreviated process but we have been able to search far and wide throughout our network,” said Alexandra Sanchez ’03, president of the Cornell Democrats.

Archived article by Liz Novak