F. Hockey Earns One Win in Two OTs

The Cornell field hockey team endured a fall break of ups and downs but will get another chance tonight against no. 19 Syracuse to prove its status as an elite team.

The weekend started on a sour note, as the Red (7-3, 2-1 Ivy) dropped its first Ivy League game in a 2-1 overtime loss to Penn (3-6, 2-0 Ivy). Penn scored first in the contest when Aparna Wilder beat sophomore Kaitlin Tierney.

The Red responded less than three minutes later, when sophomore Karleigh Burns found classmate Sommer Costabile near the net. Costabile put home her first goal of the year, drawing the contest even at 1-1.

Neither team would score in the second half, as the goalies took control. Tierney made 10 saves total on the day, while her counterpart, Carrie Wilheim stopped six shots.

Overtime would not be kind to the Red on this day, however, as Kylee Jakobowski, who already and an assist from the other Penn goal, found the back of the cage to send Cornell to defeat. The score came at the 75:49 mark.

Another Shot at OT

Monday’s overtime contest proved a far more fruitful experience for the stickwomen, as the Red pulled out an impressive 1-0 overtime victory over Lafayette. Tierney was again stellar in the shutout effort, recording nine saves in the blanking of the Leopards.

The lone tally of the contest went to sophomore Carissa Mirasol, who scored at the 72:11 mark to give Cornell its seventh victory of the season. It was her fourth goal of the season.

Lafayette actually controlled the majority of the game, outshooting the Red 11-6, including a pair of shots early in the overtime period. The Red stood tall however, and Burns finally found an open Mirasol to steal the game.

Tonight, Cornell will face one of its greatest tests of the season when it travels to Syracuse to take on the Orangewomen. The Red will once again hope to rely on its defense and some timely scoring for what would be a big confidence-boosting win for the young squad.

Archived article by Charles Persons