Men's Swimming Shocks Brown, Ladies Drop Pair

A sea full of screaming, crowds cheering, deafening noise, splashes of water flying. Water? Do you think this only happens when Lynah melts? Next door to the rink at Teagle Pool, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had a huge weekend of swimming. Both squads did better than expected and came away thrilled with the results.

The women (3-6, 1-6 Ivy) competed on Saturday in a tri-meet, falling to Brown, 179-115 and to Columbia, 153-146. The men (6-3, 4-3 EISL) swam two dual meets, picking up a big 131-100 win over Brown on Saturday afternoon, and then retaining their momentum through the night to beat Columbia yesterday.

The men’s win over Brown was unexpected.

“This was a really big weekend for the team. We haven’t beaten Brown in six years, and they have a very talented team. It was a huge win for us,” head coach Joe Lucia praised.

The first five events alternated between the Red and the Bears, with Cornell earning the first win in the 400 medley relay. The squad of senior Ryan Buckham, sophomore John Dyste, and juniors Forrest Kennedy and Charlie Ernst finished in 3:27.54.

Two other big wins were scored by Kennedy in the 200 fly (1:53.43) and freshman Scott Paavola in the 500 free (4:39.44).

Teta was edged out in the 100 free (46.49) by .28 seconds by Brown’s Kevin McCann. Buckham also garnered a second-place finish in the 200 back (1:52.55).

“Danny Diette won both 200 freestyle races, especially [against Columbia] because they were fighting back. Ryan Buckham was outstanding both days, with really good times in the backstroke,” Lucia noted.

Less than 24 hours after defeating Brown, the Red returned to the pool to beat Columbia. The meet was close, with the first seven events alternating winners. The Red opened the meet winning the 400 medley relay, and then Kenny was edged by less than a second in the 1000 freestyle (9:43.21).

Diving also played a crucial role in the Red’s pair of victories. Brown had no divers so Cornell went 1-2-3 against the Bears. Freshman diver Tony Schulz commanded the boards, scoring first on one-meter diving against Columbia (276.45) and second on the three-meter (243.14) on Friday night.

“Now we are tied for fourth in dual meets. As far as the end of the year goes, the team is very confident; they are a very competitive group,” Lucia finished.

The women’s team lost both meets, but swam fast.

“We swam unbelievably. Our meet against Columbia, we really wanted to give them a run for their money. We only lost by six points and after diving we were trailing by 30 points,” head coach Marrie Neumer lauded.

Brown won the meet overall, but Cornell pulled out two overall event wins.

Senior co-captain Shayne Geneva won the 200 breaststroke (2:22.81) and senior Whitney Yates hit the wall first in the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:07.99.

Junior Deanne Moyer was touched out for second-place in the 100 breast (1:07.29) by .1 seconds, finishing third.

Senior co-captain Lauren Marino swam the 500 in 5:17.26 and senior Virginia Morgan finished the 1000 in 10:49.12.

“The seniors really stepped up. It was awesome, I saw a lot of competitive energy,” Neumer raved.

“Freshmen stepped up too, Elissa Kline had a lifetime best time in the 100 freestyle, Sydney Freas in the 100 fly. We had one thing they didn’t have and that was emotion.”

“It was the closest meet we’ve had with them [Columbia] in three years,” she added.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko