W. Polo Beats Purdue

An odd thing happened Saturday night at the Oxley Equestrian Center. The women’s polo team was actually losing to Purdue. This novel occurrence didn’t last long, but it was the first time that women riders have trailed in a game in several months.

The initial shock of being behind was quickly overcome by the Red (13-1), who rallied for 27 straight goals en route to a 30-2 victory after Purdue took the early 1-0 lead. For the team and its supporters, though, the first chukker was worrisome.

“We came out a little flat,” commented head coach David Eldredge ’81. “The girls weren’t quite as up as they would be for a Virginia or a Colorado State.”

Purdue, though, possesses far greater talent than Cornell’s recent opponents Stanford and Georgetown. The Lady Boilermakers feature young players with tremendous potential.

“They ride hard,” said Eldredge. “We were caught off guard.”

Senior Melissa Riggs, playing only the first half of the game, led all scorers with 11.

Once again, the game gave Eldredge the opportunity to offer playing time to some of the squad’s less experienced players. Sophomores Harriet Antczak and Molly Buck saw action in the second half, during which time the Red was able to get back into its customary rhythm and maintain the lead.

“The first chukker was definitely the roughest,” explained Eldredge, “but we got our act together in the second, and the play became a lot smoother.”

Archived article by Owen Bochner