Heavies Seek Carnegie Cup; Women Host Lions, MIT

Tomorrow the men’s heavyweight crew will try to extend its winning streak on the road while the women and lightweight men host Columbia and MIT at Cayuga Inlet. After sweeping last weekend’s races against Penn and Rutgers, the women are ready to challenge their Columbia counterparts.

The men of Columbia will also be in attendance this weekend, along with the oarsmen of MIT, to take on the men’s lightweight crew.

Last weekend, the team tasted bitter defeat when they fell to Princeton after losing an early lead.

“In the middle of the race they just weren’t quite tenacious enough,” explained coach Todd Kennett.

Since last Saturday, the lightweights have regrouped and are determined to make this a weekend of personal bests.

“It was a big let down to lose, but the guys have been really positive in the last couple of days,” said Kennett.

Three races into their season, the heavyweight men have yet to experience a loss and looking forward to one of their biggest challenges of the year, the Carnegie Cup.

Tomorrow the crew will meet Yale and Princeton at the Carnegie Inlet in an attempt to wrench the highly- coveted trophy out of the hands of perennial favorite Princeton. Cornell has not won the Carnegie Cup in several years, but in recent seasons the men have been inching closer and closer to the prize, and this could be their year.

This weekend the first and second varsities will experiment with yet another new lineup after last week’s JV boat topped the varsity’s time by just over a second. Heavyweight coach Dan Roock said that the rowers are performing well with each other and have adapted easily to seat changes thus far.

“[Last weekend] we went out with lineups that had never raced together before. I saw a lot of good stuff. There was some great racing and good rhythm development in the boats,” said Roock. “I’m excited to see how we’ll do this weekend,” he added.

Archived article by Meredith Long