Swim Teams Take On Ivy Rivals

The men’s swimming team faced two Ivy League rivals this past Friday. The Red swam well, managing to beat a tough Penn squad, 140-103, but it lost to an impressive Princeton team, 151-92.

The Red was led by two underclassmen, sophomore Charles Ernst, who placed first in the 200-yard freestyle, and freshman standout Stephano Caprara, who won the 200-yard individual medley. Sophomore Danny Diette contributed with runner-up performances in both the 200-yard freestyle and backstroke events. Also earning second-place finishes were senior captain Danny Royce in the 200-yard individual medley, senior Jeremy Sample in the 100-yard freestyle, and junior Rob Payne in the 200-yard butterfly. Senior diver Tim Lenz captured a runner-up finish in the three-meter event to help the Red. To conclude the meet, a team consisting of Ernst, Sample, freshman Jared Levan, and sophomore Paul Teta, combined to earn second place in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

The Red will next compete tomorrow when it goes on the road to face local rival Binghamton.

The women’s swim team also faced both Penn and Princeton, yet fell to both squads. It was defeated by the Quakers by a score of 203-95, and by a score of 225-70 to the Tigers.

Leading the way for the Red was a pair of freshmen: diver Kristen Rayhack, who won the one meter event, and freshman Holly Chance, who took the 100-yard butterfly. Sophomore diver Kara Neal contributed to a strong showing by the diving corps by finishing third in the one-meter event and second in the three meter. Freshman Jessica Brookman helped the Red with her third-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke and fifth in the 50-yard freestyle.

The Red will bring its 1-3 mark on the season to Binghamton tomorrow, when it will face the Bearcats.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro