Cornell's Laxers Lead League, Stir Standings

While the vast majority of Cornell students will find themselves passing out with joy during the upcoming Slope Day events, the men’s lacrosse team will have a different agenda in mind: staying on top. The squad currently stands at the zenith of the Ivy League after leap-frogging Princeton this past weekend with a 12-11 overtime victory. As classes draw to a close and the end of the regular season comes into view, the teams of the Ancient Eight will be furiously attempting to dethrone the reigning Red and claim the title for their own. Hence, a look at last weekend’s action and what it means for the Ivy League standings in this week’s episode of Around the Ivies.

Brown 9, Dartmouth 6

In a high-stakes clash of nationally-ranked powerhouses, the No. 16 Bears prevailed over the No. 20 Green, 9-6, to improve their record to 2-2 in league and create a logjam in the middle of the Ivy standings. Dartmouth jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with 11:56 remaining in the first quarter behind a goal from senior Russell Radebaugh, but the advantage would be short-lived, as the Bears responded with four first quarter tallies of their own. Down 5-2 at the beginning of the second half, the Green came within two off a goal by junior midfielder Ben Ginnell with 13:52 remaining in the third quarter.

Yet, it would be as close as Dartmouth would get, as Brown junior Chazz Woodson scored his second goal of the game, and classmate Britton Derkac added two of his own to cement the Bears’ eighth victory of the season. Woodson continues to lead his squad with 25 goals and 16 assists, but the spotlight this week belonged to freshman defenseman Bobby Shields, whose stellar defensive work against Green attack Jamie Coffin earned him Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors.

Harvard 11, Yale 10

Another exciting chapter was added to one of the most storied rivalries in sports Saturday as the Crimson pulled out a last-second victory over the Bulldogs in front of 2,423 spectators at Johnson Field in New Haven, Conn. Harvard attack Mike McBride etched his name permanently into the minds of Yale defenders after he scored with 2.7 seconds left in regulation to improve the Crimson’s league record to 2-3 (6-5 overall). Meanwhile, the Elis’ Ivy struggles continued as they fell to 1-5 in the Ancient Eight and cemented their position as the league’s bottom-dwellers.

The game was unpredictable from start to finish, with both teams trading four goals apiece to knot things up at the end of the first quarter. The Crimson then jumped ahead with three goals in the second quarter, including senior Jeff Gottschall’s third of the contest, to put Harvard ahead, 7-4, with 4:30 remaining in the half. However, Yale bolted out of the locker room in the second half, scoring three goals in the third and three more in the fourth to steal a 10-8 lead. Bulldogs captain Scott Kenworthy scored three goals, and sophomore attack Dan Brillman added two more to put the home team ahead with 10:43 remaining in the game. Yet, it would be the Crimson who had the last bite as Gottschall added his fourth of the game, and rookie Evan Calvert tied the game at ten to set up McBride’s dramatic game-winner.

Harvard has had a flair for the dramatic recently, as four of their last five league games have been decided by two goals or less.

Penn 7, Loyola 5

In non-league action, the No. 17 Quakers won their second straight game and sixth of their last eight with a 7-5 victory over the Greyhounds at Diane Geppi-Aikens Field in Baltimore, Md. last Saturday. Penn wasted no time getting on the board after the opening face-off, scoring three goals in the first quarter — including an acrobatic shot by sophomore James Riordan with four seconds left. However, the Greyhounds bounced right back with four unanswered tallies in the second quarter before Penn senior Patrick Connelly notched his first career collegiate goal to even the game up at 4-4 going into the second half.

Loyola’s Cory Coffman opened the scoring in the third quarter, netting an unassisted goal with 3:26 left to give the Greyhounds a 5-4 lead. Yet, the remainder of the game belonged to the Ivy Leaguers, as Penn starters Will Phillips and Luke Dixson notched their second goals of the game and senior goalie Ryan Kelly shut down the home team to preserve the Quakers’ 7-5 win. Phillips, a senior out of Annapolis, Md., will be looking for his 100th career point in the Quakers’ regular-season finale at Maryland on May 8. The attack currently has 55 goals and 42 assists (97 points) in his career.

Archived article by Kyle Sheahen