Field Hockey Looks For Ivy Win

The Red is confident that its luck is about to change. The field hockey team is looking to end a four game losing streak when it faces off against Yale tomorrow at Schoellkopf Stadium.

“I’m excited,” said senior co-captain Blair Corcoran. “We were winning this game at halftime last year. The team is really confident. We feel like things will finally go our way.”

The team is coming off a heartbreaking, 2-1, overtime loss to Penn last weekend. The Red scored first but was unable to hold of the Quakers in its second Ivy loss of the season.

“That was just lucky,” Corcoran said of the Quakers’ victory. “It was the worst thing ever.” Corcoran and the team are hoping to erase that painful memory with a victory this weekend. Last year, the Red were winning, 2-0, at halftime before the Elis came back to score three unanswered goals and win the game. Yale went on to win the 2003 ECAC title and finish second in the Ivy League.

The Red and the Elis have had similar fortunes so far this season. While the Red got off to a strong start, it has lost the last four games and heads into the weekend with a 1-4 (0-2 Ivy) record. Yale has had slightly more success, bringing a 2-3 (0-1 Ivy) record to Ithaca tomorrow. The Red will have to fight an opponent with winning momentum, as the Elis beat Georgetown last weekend.

The Red’s triple threat of sophomore Lindsay Moyer, senior Danielle Dunn, and senior Sara Weiner will be leading the attack. The three forwards have combined for ten of Cornell’s eleven total goals this season.

Yale will bring its own balanced attack. Senior Sarah Driscoll led the Ivy League in assists last year, and the team also returns its leading scorer and All-Ivy selection senior Meredith Hudson. Junior Katie Rivkin has also emerged as a dangerous player in the last few games, leading the team with three goals this season.

Defense will also be crucial in tomorrow’s face-off. Senior goaltender Lori Blutinger has anchored the Red this season, with a 3.18 goals against average and notching a total of 44 saves. Junior Kate Crandall has been the primary netminder for the Elis, earning a 2.98 goals against average and 35 total saves this season. Crandall came up big for the Elis against defending champions Princeton, making a career-high 17 saves in a losing cause.

Both teams are looking for their first Ivy League wins of the season. On paper, the teams look to be evenly matched. Corcoran and the Red are hoping the hard work and fine-tuning of this week’s practice will pay off and be the winning difference tomorrow night.

Archived article by Olivia Dwyer