'Gate Sends Women Packing After Loss

Colgate’s Franny Iacuzzi has been one of the best offensive performers on the East coast this year. Unfortunately for the women’s soccer team, the superstar forward happens to play for the 7-4-0 Raiders — Cornell’s opponent last night in Hamilton, N.Y.

Iacuzzi scored two goals in the first half, and Colgate was able to hold off Cornell’s offensive charge for the rest of the match. After the non-conference loss, the Red drops to 4-2-2 overall. Iacuzzi has now scored 12 goals for the season, and she leads the Patriot League in both goals and points.

Colgate’s offense pressed early, notching up four corner kicks in the first eight minutes, and in the ninth minute, the Raiders’ efforts were rewarded.

Junior forward Kelly Kuss managed to find Iacuzzi near the goal, and the freshman powered the ball past sophomore keeper Katrina Matlin. It was the first goal allowed this year by the California native.

Despite being on the defensive early on, Cornell was able to keep its composure after the goal, and put an end to Colgate’s early dominance. The Red was then able to generate some solid offense, and after a couple of opportunities to hit the net, the booters were looking to score the equalizer.

But Iacuzzi had other ideas.

In the 29th minute, sophomore defender Jackie Burch passed through to Iacuzzi, and the former Illinois high school standout fired a high deflected shot into the Cornell net. It was only the fifth goal allowed by the Red defense this year.

Freshman sweeper Leslie Campbell had the unenviable task of defending the lightning-fast Iacuzzi for much of the game, and Campbell showed great ability in keeping up with the current Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week. Both Iacuzzi’s goals came only after near-net passes — not after open field runs, as has been the case many times this year.

Campbell wisely played Iacuzzi to the outside of the field, preventing the Raider from breaking out into the clear middle of the pitch.

And it was only Colgate’s solid passing that gave Iacuzzi her chances.

Cornell had a few more good opportunities to score in the second half, generated after some solid midfield passing. However, the Colgate defense was able to break up a number of Red drives, and Miller — plus the crossbar — stopped Cornell’s shots on goal.

The match was a homecoming for junior forward Shannon Fraser, a Hamilton, N.Y. native. Fraser was one of Cornell’s top scorers last year, but she has missed a number of games this season due to injury. Like senior forward Emily Wyffels — who has also lost playing time this season due to injury — Fraser is still “not 100 percent,” according to head coach Berhane Andeberhan. However, both forwards did start last night.

The win was Colgate’s third victory at home in five days. The Raiders are undefeated at Van Doren Field this year, having beat Navy and Vermont this past weekend. Miller had five saves for Colgate.

The Red will face Penn Saturday, at noon, in Cornell’s first Ivy League home game of the year. The Red lost to the Quakers 3-1 last season, in Philadelphia.

Archived article by Ted Nyman