Derraugh Named W. Hockey Coach

Doug Derraugh ’91, one of top scorers in the history of the men’s hockey team, has returned to Cornell to coach the women’s squad for the 2005-2006 season, Cornell Athletics announced July 29. He will serve as interim head coach, as Melody Davidson recently took a leave of absence to coach the Canadian national team at the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Derraugh was an All-ECAC and All-Ivy right winger for the Red, and he served as co-captain during his senior year. He also recorded 30 goals that season — the most ever by a Cornell senior. Derraugh ranks 10th in career scoring, with 66 goals and 87 assists for a total of 153 points. He also won the Red’s MVP and Ironman awards during his senior year.

After Cornell, Derraugh played professional hockey in Europe for 13 years, including many seasons in the top German league. He played a total of 637 games overseas, recording 257 goals and 347 assists. Derraugh has also garnered experience as a coach at the University of Ottawa, where he was an assistant coach for the men’s hockey team.

The Ontario native also founded the Meteor Sports training program, and he will likely bring a strong emphasize on conditioning to Cornell.

“We had a major summer conditioning program, and everyone is in shape,” said senior assistant captain Jen Munhofen. “We’re all anxiously waiting to get back on the ice.”

Derraugh is the eighth person to lead the program since the team began play in 1972. He is also the second former men’s player to coach the women’s team. Keith Howie ’87 coached the Red for the 1989-90 season.

Cornell went 3-23-3 overall last season, with a 3-16-1 record in the ECACHL. The Red has struggled in recent years, as the quality of teams in the conference has greatly improved.

However, Cornell will return its leading scorers from last year, including sophomore Brianne Schmidt, who had nine goals and seven assists. Senior Vicki Hodgkinson, junior Halina Kristalyn, and Munhofen add strength on the offensive end. The Red will also welcome four new recruits to Lynah Rink.

“We have a major leadership squad that will help take the team to places we haven’t gone in the last few years,” Munhofen said. “We have three captains, and four other seniors to back us up. We’re really excited for the new year.”

Cornell will begin its regular season November 4, when the Red face off against Yale in Lynah Rink.

Archived article by Ted Nyman