M. Hockey Earns Two Crucial Victories

Before the usual festivities began at Lynah Rink on Saturday night between ECACHL foes Clarkson and Cornell, the red carpet was rolled onto the ice. Interim president Hunter R. Rawlings III strolled out and introduced Dr. David J. Skorton, who was appointed as Cornell’s 12th president earlier in the day.

Skorton and his wife were both given Cornell hockey jerseys and then the new president began the evening’s cheers, exclaiming, “Let’s go Big Red!”

Cornell fed off his opening cheer by playing inspired hockey all evening to earn a come-from-behind 4-2 win. The game-winning tally came off the stick of senior Chris Abbott off of a pretty feed from his twin brother, Cam, on a 2-on-1 breakaway attempt at 10:09 in the third period.

“Our guy lost his guy [on the game] winner,” said Clarkson head coach George Roll. “He had him in the neutral zone, lost him, and we talked about them jumping in to rush and we didn’t react very well on that play.”

The win, which gave the team a four-point weekend after a 5-2 win over No. 10 St. Lawrence on Friday night, also improved the No. 8 Red to 13-4-3 and 8-3-1 in league play. The win, coupled with Colgate’s win over the Saints on Saturday night, catapulted Cornell into second place in the league, just two points behind the Raiders for the top spot. With the loss, Clarkson fell to 12-10-2 and 5-6-1 in ECACHL action.

“It was a good, battle back win for us,” said Cornell head coach Mike Schafer ’86. “Down a goal twice and then to get back