Cornell Posts Four First-Place Finishes in Win

The gymnastics team had a successful showing in its first dual match of the 2005-06 season against SUNY Cortland at the Corey Gymnasium at Cortland on Saturday. The Red came out on top in all four events, paving the way to an overall win, 181.300-175.025.

“We had our best performance yet. The scores did not reflect it, but winning is always nice. As a team we won three of the four events and had an individual win in every event, so it’s hard to complain,” said head coach Paul Beckwith.

Cornell was particularly successful on the uneven bars, taking the first five places in the event.

The first five finishers were senior Cathy Schnell, freshman Jennifer Yee, junior Randi Bisbano, sophomore Leslie Gregory, and sophomore Colleen Davis.

“Bars we came up quite a bit. We still have a ways to go. We had a lot of falls,” Beckwith said.

Schnell won the event with a score of 9.450 and Yee came in a close second with a score of 9.300. Bisbano finished with a 9.000 score, Gregory had a score of 8.900 and Davis had a score of 8.550. In sixth place and the top finisher for Cortland was freshman Christine McAulay.

“Cathy Schnell won the bars and that was her best score of the season as well at 9.450,” Beckwith said

“It was good because we didn’t fall as much and we have been getting better every meet,” Yee said.

Sophomore Megan Gilbert placed first in vault with a score of 9.600, and senior Louise Gutierrez from Cortland placed second with a score of 9.550.

“Meghan Gilbert won the vault [with a] 9.600 and that was one of her highest scores since she has been at Cornell, so we were really pleased about that,” Beckwith said.

Junior Kari Kucera placed a strong first in the floor exercises with a score of 9.550 and Bisbano, a two-time All-American, finished first on the balance beam with a score of 9.475 to complete Cornell’s sweep of top finishes.

“Beam was a little rough. We had Randi Bisbano back on the beam [for the first time] since she has been ill,” Beckwith said. “She missed our entire intercession practice