Fall's On the Rise

Thinking about hitting the books this semester? Well, you might want to rearrange your study schedule because the networks are releasing a full gamut of new shows that are sure to cause a drop in your GPA. From comedies and dramas to documentaries, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste this season and, heck, even if you don’t like the line-up now, you’ll like it a lot more when you’re procrastinating on that term paper.

The Nine (ABC): Premieres Wednesday, October 4 at 10:00pm
This high powered new drama follows nine perfect strangers who end up in a bizarre bank robbery and the startling way in which their lives have now collided together. Classic bank robbery suspense, reminiscent of Spike Lee’s The Inside Man, is combined with an eerie mystery that even the eye-catching preview won’t divulge. With the executive producer of The West Wing calling the shots on this suspenseful thriller, TV thrill-seekers are sure to keep coming back for more. The first episode even boasts a surprise ending that will make sure viewers stay on their toes!

30 Rock (NBC): Premieres Wednesday, October 11 at 8:30pm
Although SNL will not be the same this season without clever writer Tina Fey, NBC may have snagged a new hot comedy with 30 Rock. The show not only stars the Mean Girls mastermind Tina Fey, but it was also created by her. This comedy takes place on the set of a fictional TV program called “The Girlie Show” and charts Liz Lemon (Fey) as she juggles the workplace bureaucracy and the showbiz scene. The premise may sound a little off-beat, but with Alec Baldwin as co-captain, one can only hope this show will be able to stick it out for the long run. Definitely tune in for episode #1 to see if Fey can deliver the laughs.

Six Degrees (ABC): Premiers Thursday September 21 at 10:00pm
ABC has taken the well-known legend that everyone is connected by a chain of six, also known as “six degrees of separation”, and turned it into a meaningful drama that is sure to tug on the heartstrings of many a female viewer. Six Degrees looks at the ways we all impact the lives of others in seemingly unnoticeable ways, and gives everyone hope that their soulmate may truly be only a few degrees away. Although it may appear to be only a chickflick-esque half hour, I have high hopes that stars — such as Jay Hernandez and Erika Christensen — who have always managed to stay under the celebrity radar, can turn us all into believers.

Juvies (MTV): Premiers Tuesday, September 5 at 10:00pm
MTV has yet again put a drama packed, teen-angst-filled reality show on the fall roster — and no its not The Real World or Laguna Beach. Ju–vies is a real life look at what happens when everyday adolescents get caught by Indiana police for antics like drinking, running away and speeding. The show portrays seemingly harmless kids in a Juvenile Detention Center doing time for things the normal teenager would probably attempt on a big weekend out. Juvies also looks at the fractured relationship many of these kids have with their parents and the hints at the root causes of their “radical” behavior. This one may not seem like your cup of tea, but it will surely make a run-in with CUPD seem like a cake walk.

Grey’s Anatomy (ABC): Premiers Thursday, September 21 at 10:00pm
No one can deny the anticipation surrounding the third season of the hit Grey’s Anatomy; whether or not this year can pack the same punch as seasons 1 and 2 remains to be seen. There’s been a tight lock on any surprises in the third season, but the strong fan base will undoubtedly wait for all the juicy details to unfold. One big change for the series, however, is its new night; ABC has moved Grey’s Anatomy into the Thursday lineup so make sure to set up your Tivo properly.