Golf Travels to N.H.

Even though the weather conditions are predicted to be cold and difficult, the golf team will travel to New Haven, Conn., this weekend to compete at the Yale Invitational.
“We expect the conditions at Yale to be awful,” said junior Bret Perry. “The forecast is for cold temperatures and wind, which will make things difficult. This is always the case at Yale, so we know what we’re in for.”
After two straight top-10 finishes at the Towson and George Washington Invitationals, the squad will look to continue its recent hot streak.
“We are looking for consistency from the No. 1 to No. 5 man,” said head coach Matt Baughan.
At the Towson Invitational, the Red started with a strong first day, finishing in a tie for fifth place. Unfortunately, the team couldn’t maintain its performance on the second day of the tournament, finishing in seventh-place overall. However, the golfers proved to their Ancient Eight rivals — Yale, Princeton and Columbia — that the Red is a competitive team.
“We let one slip away, but teams are starting to recognize us,” Baughan said.
Cornell will look to defeat Yale — who finished in front of Cornell at the Towson Invitational — and Harvard — who finished a few strokes behind the Red in last year’s Yale Invitational — in this weekend’s tournament.
“Performing well this weekend will give us the confidence to know we can compete with the Ivy League teams and beat them,” Perry said.
The Red golfers will continue to practice hard in preparation for the Yale Invitational.
“I plan to work with my coach for the upcoming Yale Invitational,” said freshman Robert Cronheim, who finished ninth at the Towson Invitational. “Putting hasn’t been one of my strengths, but I have been working on it during the winter and it has shown huge improvement. The team just wants to keep working hard.”
Cornell will hope to improve upon its finish in the 2006 Yale Spring Invitational, where the squad finished ninth overall but fell to Yale and Dartmouth. Only Cornell junior Robbie Fritz reached the top-20 out of the 111-player field. However, with the recent success of Cronheim and the experience of Perry and Fritz, the Red golfers have an opportunity to prove themselves this weekend.
“The field at Yale is strong in general, but we’re always looking forward to seeing the other Ivy schools at tournaments,” Perry said.