Statistics Favor Red, Scoreboard Favors Bison

Dorothy once uttered, “There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home.”
While Dorothy was saved by wishing for home, the field hockey team might just wish it could go any place else but home after dropping its fifth-straight home contest in a 1-0 loss to Bucknell last night. It was the team’s fourth-straight loss overall.
The Bison came into the game with a 6-7 overall record and was able to improve to .500 on the season after defeating the Red (6-6, 3-2 Ivy).
The Red held the statistical advantage over the Bison in shots, saves and time of possession, but was not able to hold the advantage in the most important category — goals.
Cornell outshot Bucknell 12-8 during the game and held the 3-2 margin in saves.
Head coach Donna Hornibrook pointed to the team’s late-game breakdowns as a reason for the slide.
“We need to work on finishing strongly,” said Head Coach Donna Hornibrook. “We outshot them but we weren’t able to finish. In order to improve as a team that’s something we really need to work on.”
The Bison was able to score early in the first half as Trina Boyer netted the games only tally. Cornell then came out firing in the second half, reeling off eight shots to Bucknell’s two.
The Red was on the offensive for nearly the entire second half but unable to capitalize with its numerous opportunities.
Bucknell earned its first win against the Ivy League after losing to its only other Ancient Eight opponent this year — Penn. The Red also dropped an overtime contest to the Quakers.
With the losing streak stretching to four, the players sare still keeping the same motto of taking the season one game at a time.
“We have to make sure that we stay focused on what we need to do,” said junior Abbi Horn. “All season we’ve tried to go one game at a time and we need to make sure that we stick to that.”