Women's Hockey Hits Road for Pair With Niagra

The women’s hockey team is looking to bounce back from a couple of home losses last weekend, playing games tonight and tomorrow at Niagara.
The Red (2-2-0) hits the road for the first time this year as it faces off against the Purple Eagles (2-1-1) at Dwyer Arena tonight at 7 p.m.
Tonight’s game marks Niagara’s home opener. The Purple Eagles are off to their best start since the 2002-2003 season, when they opened the yar with a 3-1-0 record. After a loss and a tie to start the season, Niagara dominated Northeastern last weekend, 6-4 and 5-2, in consecutive wins.
The Red will need to contain the Purple Eagles’ high-powered offense, which is led by junior forward Ashley Riggs. Riggs has already tallied seven goals and one assist through just four games this year.
The Red, which got off to a solid start to the year with consecutive wins over Vermont, but then dropped its following two contests. Cornell lost a decisive 4-1 game against Wayne State on Friday night, then was edged, 5-4, in an overtime loss the next day.
The Red had jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but conceded four straight regulation even-strength goals putting the game into overtime. Wayne State’s Melissa Boal took advantage of a power play at the 1:37 mark in overtime to take the game away from the Red.
Having been outscored 5-0 in its last 41 minutes of play, the Red’s offensive attack will look to pick things up at Niagara.
Freshman forward Rebecca Johnston, who won ECAC Hockey League Rookie of the Week for her performances against Vermont, has gotten off to a solid start to her college career.
Johnston has three goals and three assists this year, and leads the team in points. Johnston is tied with sophomore Liz Zorn for the team lead in goals, while senior Brittany Forgues is tops in assists (5).
Neither team’s power play has been particularly effective this year, which should bode well particularly for the Red. In its two wins against Vermont, Cornell was successful on all 12 of its penalty kills. In its two losses to Wayne State, however, the Red gave up a total of four power play goals — including three in Friday night’s loss.