Seibald’s Goal Lifts M. Lacrosse to 9-8 Win

[img_assist|nid=35667|title=Jam it home|desc=Senior Max Siebald scored the game-winning goal against Army this past weekend at West Point, N.Y., with 1:00 left on the clock.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Palesky made 22 saves for the Black Knights (1-2) in an excellent performance, turning away charge after charge by the Red (2-0) offense.
“Their goalie played a great game, we had a ton of opportunities to score,” said freshman attack Rob Pannell.
Cornell outshot Army, 55-38, won 12-of-21 face offs and had four extra-man opportunities, but it still needed Seibald’s late-game heroics to secure the win, Cornell’s fourth in a row over Army. Recent contests between the two teams have typically been close and hard-fought — the last three have been decided by an average of 1.6 goals. This matchup, featuring seven lead changes and five ties, was no different.
The Black Knights held strong late in the game, scoring two consecutive goals to knot up the score at 8 with five minutes to play. Army won the face-off and put together a nice offensive possession that forced a few tough saves from Cornell’s senior goalie Kyle Harer. The Red regained possession after a foul by Army with 1:30 to play, then raced to the offensive zone and called a time-out to set up Seibald’s game-winner.
“Our defense played great the whole game,” Pannell said. “Holding any team to eight goals is unbelievable against a team like Army. Kyle Harer had some huge saves in those last few minutes, and our defense was all over the place getting after their guys.”
All-Americans Seibald and Glynn both had two goals and an assist; Glynn’s second goal also marked the midfielder’s 100th career point for Cornell. Glynn is the 35th player to reach the 100-point mark.
Junior attack Ryan Hurley had three goals and Pannell continued to impress in his rookie campaign, with a goal and two assists.
Senior attacks Brooks Korvin and Jason Peyer and sophomore attack Jeremy Boltus all scored two goals for Army. The Red did a good job of holding Boltus, the centerpiece of the Black Knight attack unit, to just two goals. The standout sophomore had scored 20 points in his first two games of the season.