Gymnastics Squad Hosts Rivals in Tri-Meet

Although it seems as though an Ivy Classic title would be hard to come by, the Red gymnastics team earned its third one on Sunday after scoring a season-best of 192.500 points. With this accomplishment under the team’s belt, Cornell returns to home ground to host rivals Rutgers and Brockport in a tri-meet tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Teagle gym with spirits flying high.

The Red is coming off of an impressive streak, as the last four competitions have witnessed consistent improvements in scores that culminated in the Ivy Classic last weekend. During the Classic, the team not only earned the lead in all four events, but it also managed a near 3-point edge over the second-placed Brown.

Similarly, Brockport has also earned a season high of 190.050 points with its win over Cortland on Sunday. Members of Brockport’s team swept the ECAC gymnastics titles for this week, with gymnasts earning top names in all three categories of all-arounder, specialist and freshman of the week.

Gymnasts to look out for include juniors Emily Santoro and Kerri Lavallee, as well as sophomore Bethany Neczypor. These two juniors tied for the top position in the vault competition during the Classic, while Neczypor topped the bars event during the same competition with a score of 9.675.

The Red hopes that similar success can be witnessed after the tri-meet tomorrow afternoon, so to peak its achievements with a month remaining before the USAG nationals. Team members wish to see people from all divisions stepping up so that just one person does not carry meets but rather really exhibit the cooperative and team aspects to gymnastics.

Original Author: Reena Gilani