Golf Finishes in Fifth Place At Yale Weekend Invitational

Thanks to a surge in round two, the golf team overcame high scores on day one of the Yale Invitational to finish the two-round tournament tied for 5th place with a team score of 625. Junior Matt Jaye led all members of the Red, shooting a consistent 75 on day one and 74 on day two, good for a 149 and a 4th place finish overall. UPenn ultimately took home the crown on Sunday, posting a 299 in round two to finish at 612. The course proved to be very difficult, as high scores were posted across the board. Aside from Jaye, the Red’s lowest individual score on Saturday was an 81, leaving the team with a total of 322. Brown bottomed out the scoring, posting a very high total of 338. “They had the course playing pretty tough,” said junior Dan Bosse. “The greens were very hard and fast, and it was really windy. Plus there were some very long holes out there. The whole field struggled; it was tough.”Despite the less than stellar performance in round one, the Red rebounded in the final round, with all five squad members improving on their first round scores. As a team, the Red shaved 19 strokes off of its day one total to shoot a 303, tying them for the second best round of the day. “I think we were just a little more settled in,” Bosse said. “And the wind died down a little, but I think it was mainly a case of us settling in and understanding how we had to play the course.”The flashes of brilliance and lack of consistency has proven to be a common theme for the Red throughout the season. The low scores against Ivy League opponents reinforce the confidence in the Red that they can compete, and ultimately beat anybody. “We’ve shown that we’re right there,” Bosse said. “It’s important for us to fight back and put together some goods rounds. We know that we’re just as good as anybody out there. It’s a matter of getting that confidence and knowing that we can hit those tough shots and come in at the end of the day with low scores.”

Original Author: Ware Cady