Alumnus Tapped as U.S. Ambassador

On September 13, President Barack Obama nominated Dr. Cameron Munter ’76 — who is currently serving in Baghdad as adviser for political and military affairs to U.S. Ambassador Christopher R. Hill — to be the new U.S. ambassador to Pakistan.The Senate is expected to confirm Munter’s appointment in a vote next week. Munter will replace Anne W. Peterson, the current ambassador to Pakistan, whose term will end in October.Prior to his nomination, Munter worked with a number of countries in transition. During his career, which began in 1986, he served in a number of positions, including the Deputy Chief of Mission at the American embassies in Prague and Warsaw. From January to July 2006, Munter led the first Provincial Reconstruction Team in Mosul, Iraq. Before taking up his current position in Iraq, he served as the U.S. Ambassador to Serbia from 2007 to 2009. In his most recent posting as political-military advisor in Iraq, Munter directed strategic planning and U.S. civil-military coordination.Besides his high-profile positions, Munter is well-known for making strong statements. During his term as the ambassador in Belgrade, he sent a direct message to the Serbian government warning against the recurrence of Serbian protesters’ attack of the U.S. Embassy in 2008. In Washington, Munter has served as Director for Central, Eastern, and Northern Europe at the National Security Council, Executive Assistant to the Counselor at the State Department, and Chief of Staff of the NATO Enlargement Ratification Office.Munter’s appointment comes at a crucial time, as the Obama administration is considering a phased troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and some politicians have recommended reconciliation with the Taliban. Over Munter’s three-year term in Pakistan, he is expected to play a key role in implementing American policy in the region.

Original Author: Jackie Lam