SQUASH | Red Falls to Bulldogs, Defeats Bears, Saints

While classes have only just resumed, the Cornell squash teams has been back on the courts for several weeks now. The Red hosted Yale, Brown, and St. Lawrence two weekends ago before heading to New Haven for the Yale Round Robin this past weekend.

The men’s and women’s teams suffered losses to Yale on Saturday, Jan. 12. The men’s team, ranked fourth, lost 1-8 to the sixth-ranked Bulldogs. Senior co-captain Nick Sachvie defeated Yale’s Kenneth Chan, 3-0, earning Cornell’s only point.

On the women’s team, Junior Jesse Pacheco and freshmen Abbey Foster and Reut Odinak all won matches against Yale, but it was not enough to defeat the Bulldogs, ranked No. 2. Cornell (No. 6) lost, 3-6.

However, both the men and women’s teams demonstrated impressive rebounds against Brown and St. Lawrence the next day. The women swept both teams, 9-0, and the men beat Brown, 9-0 and St. Lawrence, 6-3.

“After the Yale match we were actually really excited because it was the best we had done against Yale in all my four years here, so the match actually encouraged us,” said senior co-captain Maggie Remsen. “We just kind of reset and refocused for our matches on Sunday where we knew we were the better team in both situations and we were able to turn it around.”

Original Author: Katie Schubauer