Facing Possible Expulsion, DKE Fraternity Prepares for University Appeal

By EMMA COURT and DARA LEVY

Updated Sunday with a statement from Travis Apgar, associate dean of students

The Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity will be appealing the University’s decision to revoke its recognition after it allegedly failed to call for help when two students consumed too much alcohol.

The incident, which occurred on Aug. 30-31, involved “underage and excessive alcohol consumption,” according to the University. Fraternity brothers not only did not call for emergency medical help but also tried to impede police from assisting, the University said in a press release. Ultimately, friends of the students who were transported called for help.

In its appeal, the fraternity will have to meet with Susan Murphy ’73 PhD ’94, vice president for student and academic services, who is responsible for any review board appeals.

Travis Apgar, associate dean of students, said that he wants the appeals process to take place “as swiftly as possible.”

As a result of losing recognition, DKE will not allowed to identify itself with Cornell, participate in bodies like the Interfraternity Council or recruit new members for at least three years, the University said Friday.

Additionally, DKE’s house will be closed down at the end of the fall semester. Although the University is still looking into what will happen with DKE’s physical house, it will likely be used as some type of residence hall, according to Apgar.

This is not the first time DKE was disciplined by the University. In November 2012, the chapter was placed on provisional recognition — conditional recognition during which the chapter is eligible for the benefits of full recognition — due to an “alcohol-related incident and a history of similar infractions over the past several years,” according to a University press release.

Apgar said while a loss of recognition could have been possible without DKE’s provisional status, its standing “played a key role in the decision.”

The chapter was found accountable for the incident during a Greek Judicial Board hearing before standing before a university Review Board, which decided the terms of the chapter’s sanctioning. DKE had the opportunity to respond, during which it presented its new policies and shared how it has used national DKE resources, according to Apgar.