POLO | Women Take Virginia; Men Fall Short

By ELANI COHEN

The men’s and women’s polo teams saw contrasting results this weekend in their matchups against the University of Virginia at the Oxley Equestrian Center. The women’s team defeated the Cavaliers, 25-7, while the men’s team endured a tough loss in a tight contest with a final score of 19-18.

The women’s team began its match against the defending champions with senior Kailey Eldredge and sophomores Anna Winslow and Devin Cox starting. The trio scored one goal each within the first few minutes of the match. The first chukker ended with Cornell in the lead, 7-3. Though UVA increased its defensive pressure during the second chukker, Cornell refused to relinquish the lead. The Red was ahead, 12-4, as the first half came to a close.

The squad continued to outscore the Cavaliers in the third chukker, and went into the fourth chukker with a lead of 18-5. The Red kept up the high intensity, scoring another seven goals in the final chukker. The match ended in Cornell’s favor with a final score of 25-7. Cox scored a total of 11 goals, while Eldredge posted seven and Winslow added six. With a boost of confidence from this match, the team is looking forward to its next match against the West Shore Polo Club, which will be played in Ithaca.

Connor Archard / Senior Sun PhotographerSenior captain Nik Feldman returned from an injury to play for the first time this semester