WOKE UP IN THE KITCHEN | Apples to Apples

By HILLARY LANDSMAN

Apples are probably one of my favorite fruits of fall. I’m not sure if it’s the smell of apple pie, the memories of going apple picking with my family or the fact that I may or may not have just bought about 40 apples at Applefest and am now obligated to either eat them all or turn them into apple concoctions and give them away before they go bad. Whatever happens, at least I made it out of Applefest safely with only apples, and not with an abundance of maple syrup-flavored everything, kettle corn and pies.

From a young age we are told to eat, aspire to be or call someone an apple.

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”

“You are the apple of my eye.”

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

You can act like other fruits (go bananas, feel peachy), but no other fruit, that I can think of, can you actually embody! So why is this? Is the apple really so much better than other fruits? I am not one to judge, but here’s some information. You decide for yourself.

A medium apple has about 100 calories, is low in fat, cholesterol and sodium, and high in fiber, which is mostly in the skin. This seems pretty standard for a fruit, so why is it so special? Apples are very high in polyphenols. These act as sunscreen for apples, protecting them from UV-radiation, and as antioxidants in our bodies. This decreased oxidation results in a lower risk of cardiovascular diseases and the possible prevention of cancer. Consuming apples has also been found to help in weight loss!

Some fun facts:

Colonists brought apples to America in the 17th century; pilgrims in Massachusetts Bay Colony planted the first apple trees.

Two-thirds of the fiber and many of the antioxidants are found in the apple peel.

The seeds of apples contain cyanide, but you’d have to eat 143 seeds (about 18 apples) in order to consume a lethal dose.

There are over 7,000 varieties of apples are grown around the world.

National Apple Month is the only national, generic apple promotion conducted in the United States. Originally founded in 1904 as National Apple Week, it was expanded in 1996 to a three-month promotional window from September-November. Happy National Apple Month!

So, what can you do with all of those apples you bought? Here are some ideas.

Applesauce

Cut up apples and put them in a pot.

Cover the apples with water, boil and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes, or until they’ve reached a good consistency.

Mash them all up, add in some spices and enjoy!

Applesauce can also be used to substitute oil in many recipes!

Apple Crisp – adapted from www.eatlifewhole.com

Preheat oven to 425.

Wash, core and slice the apple (skin on for extra fiber).

Toss with lemon juice and 1 tsp of cinnamon.

Set aside.

In a small bowl mix rolled oats, chopped nuts, ½ tsp cinnamon and melted honey until well combined.

Spread in a thin layer on a piece of tin foil and bake for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, begin to cook the apples. Every time the pan starts to dry up, add a tablespoon of water.

Cook for about 6 minutes until desired doneness.

Throw the cooked apples in a bowl and sprinkle with the oat and nut crumble.

Apple Tahini Salad – adapted from www.veganstoner.com

Chop up an apple and a red bell pepper.

Mix 1 spoonful of tahini, agave, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice in a bowl.

Mix in the chopped apple and pepper, as well as a half a can of drained chickpeas.