EDITORIAL: A More Holistic Approach to SAFC

The Student Assembly efforts last spring to streamline the process of obtaining funding from the Student Activities Funding Commission were a significant step towards streamlining a process used by hundreds of student organizations. By removing the requirement that the S.A. review each SAFC funding request appeal and replacing it with an independent appeals court, the process is quicker and more fair to the individual appellants. However, some of the issues that cause student organizations to be barred from SAFC dollars remain. To address these challenges, we call for a more holistic approach to the funding process.

The student organization registration process, in addition to the SAFC funding process, can be seen as rigid and unforgiving by those who are denied funding. While some organizations fail to meet the explicit requirements of the SAFC — by missing an advisor’s signature, for example — others point to OrgSync, a software platform the University implemented in 2013 for managing the registration and funding of student organizations, as the source of their frustration. In order to register as a student organization, a group’s leaders must create a profile in OrgSync, and have four of the organization’s officers, plus the advisor, fill out several electronic forms. The interface does not allow the organization to track the progress of these forms or to see who has and has not completed them. The SAFC requires that an organization meet all of the registration requirements before it approves their funding request.

We are not disputing the need for student organizations to meet the requirements set by SAFC. These rules set in place ensure a fair allocation of funds and work to make sure clubs do not abuse their budgets for the year. Still, the rigid nature of application process lacks an understanding for complications an organization’s leader cannot be responsible for alone. For example, because OrgSync does not display the status of each specific requirement, it is easy for student leaders to gloss over their incomplete registration. Instead of locking out organizations that are still in the process of registering and have submitted a complete budget request, the SAFC could give a provisional approval that requires the registration to be complete before any funds can be spent.

A willingness to understand each case specifically will allow organizations to thrive. Instead of punishing organizations by immediately denying funding, the SAFC should adapt their funding guidelines and budget review procedures to help alleviate the frustration with technical shortcomings felt by club leaders.

6 thoughts on “EDITORIAL: A More Holistic Approach to SAFC

1. I’ve never been to Hong Kong, but year’s back I worked on a translation of a Travel guide for Hong Kong and it sounded as if the outer islands are quite amazing.…I know how easy it is to get sucked in, if you don’t watch 🙂

2. its current. What caused the crash? I was dumped off Gmail and told my time had expired (???) when did they add time limits. So I tried to log backon and was told my account was locked down.I put my Chromebook up on EBAY. I really feel guilty for unloading it on some unsuspecting buyer. But without a way to block the touch pad its useless anyway. Now this and it was enough. First $150 gets it.

3. TO: averagejoesgymRE: Really?”The original bill is very brief and can be found using the search function on the Maine State Legistlature website.” — averagejoesgymI’ve spent a good amount of time looking for the original text of the Bill submitted this session and have yet to find it.Could you please share the URL?Regards,Chuck(le)

4. papito hermoso, esta noche quiero decirte que te amo, y tambien agradecerte por todas las alegrias, tristezas, lagrimas que he derramado. Gracias papito hermoso por consentirme por amarme por permitirme sentir tu amor dia con dia. Te amo, no dejes de guiarme de ser esa luz para mi vida y para la de toda mi familia, especialmente para la de mis hijos y nietos. Solo una cosa te pido Papito no permitas que jamas me separe de ti.

5. I can’t offer advice… only that nothing can be done to you without your consent ie. it is not a case of ‘allowing’ you to do anything. I would be worried about your midwife’s understanding of the physiology of the placenta. You can do whatever you want. Risk is a fact of birth which ever option you choose. You need to decide what type of risk you want to take