Freshman Anthony Angello Continues To Shine With Two-Goal Performance

By JACK KANTOR

Angello_Anthony_15

Freshman Anthony Angello has been the most productive offensive player for the Red this season. (Courtesy of Cornell Athletics)

Freshman Beau Starrett jammed in an equalizer goal as the Cornell men’s hockey team fell a goal behind the Princeton Tigers in the second period of Friday’s contest. A minute and a half later, red-hot freshman Anthony Angello sent a laser to the bottom left corner of Princeton’s net to propel Cornell ahead of the Tigers en route to a 4-3 victory.

Anthony Angello hails from  Manlius, NY. This season is the New York native’s first on the hill with the Red. In the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Angello was selected in the fifth round by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In his first two games for Cornell prior to tonight’s contest, Angello had already put up a goal and 2 assists in the Red’s first two wins of the season against Niagara University on Halloween weekend.

Angello creates a presence on the ice standing at 6 feet and 5 inches and weighing at 205 pounds. With his considerable size, Angello is able to create positioning in the opponent’s zone and set himself up for a considerable amount of scoring and assist opportunities.

Anthony knew coming in how competitive ECAC play would be. “They told us it was going to be fast, faster than what you’re used to and more physical,” said Angelo.

“It’s going to be a battle every night, and you have to be ready to play your best.” Tonight, the freshman was not phased in the slightest and was ready to battle.

For his first goal of the game, Angello established his position on the top left of the right faceoff circle. Junior defenseman Patrick McCarron, who had the puck in the left corner of the opponent’s zone, sent the puck back to the awaiting Angello. The freshman then sent the puck ever so precisely around the Princeton and Cornell players in front of the goalie. Angello’s puck beamed into the bottom left corner as the fans jumped out of their seats and Cornell took the lead, 2-1, on the Tigers at 6:28 in the second period.

Then at 8:43, Cornell scored another goal another goal from Angello on the counter attack. Junior center Jeff Kubiak, who scored the game-winning goal for the Red, was carrying the puck down the left side into Princeton’s zone. Kubiak sent an accurate pass in front of the Tigers’ goal for the awaiting Angello, who scorched the puck past Princeton goaltender Colton Phinney.

That was, “a great play by Jeff Kubiak, great forecheck by Mitch Vanderlaan, to create the second goal,” for Angello, said head coach Mike Schafer ’86.

“We stress to each other to be very loud on the ice, communicate with each other, be in support with each other,” said linemate Jeff Kubiak. “I think the chemistry we have built in practice over the past few weeks…have really just helped our in-game play.”

Later in the period, Angello set up another great opportunity for fellow classmate Mitch Vanderlaan. Angello received a pass in front of the goal, gathered the puck while spinning around and sent the puck in front of the net to Vanderlaan. However,  the Tigers were able to stave off another chance from Angello and the Red.

“I believe it all starts with the teammates,” Angello said on his scoring opportunities as of late.

Schafer was disappointed with the way the team played, yet thought a certain group of guys played very well.

When asked some bright spots in tonight’s game, “scoring 3 goals…[Angello’s] line was excellent,” Schafer commented.

Angello’s goals proved to be all the more important as Princeton came back in the match to tie the Red, 3-3. A late goal at 19:11 from Kubiak saved the win for Cornell. Angello was a key contributor for the Red, contributing for half the team’s goals on the night.

With tonight’s pair of goals, Angello brings his goal count to 3 in addition to his 2 assists through 3 games—an impressive outing for the Freshman once again. Angello will look to continue his solid play against Quinnipiac Saturday night.

“[Angello’s] capitalizing and I’m sure he wants to keep it going,” Schafer said. “We hope he does keep it going.”