Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.07.37 AM

Fifth Greek Organization Suspended Since Start of Semester

Correction appended.

The Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity has been placed on interim suspension, according to a statement released by the University on Tuesday.

“Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. has committed a serious violation of the Fraternity and Sorority Expectations for Membership and as of April 18, 2017,” said Joseph Burke, Executive Director of Campus and Community Engagement, in a statement.

This is the fifth Greek organization and the fourth fraternity to be placed on suspension this semester.

Kappa Alpha Psi is a member of the Multicultural Greek Letter Council and was founded in 1911 with a desire to have a “particular emphasis on African American communities” in its service projects, according to the MGLC website. It boasts the motto, “Achievement in Every Field of Human Endeavor.”

According to the University’s statement, the interim suspension is “used when details of credible report compel the university to cease activities of the organization for the safety of the members, those joining, or guests.”

The president of the MGLC declined to comment, citing that it do not comment on active cases.

Of the four fraternities suspended this semester, two of them have been lifted in the past month: Sigma Phi Epsilon’s suspension was lifted on March 17 and Lambda Chi Alpha’s suspension was lifted on April 13.

The plans for both fraternities differ slightly: both will have to hire a live-in scholar or advisor and redevelop their new member education process, but Sigma Phi Epsilon must also conduct a membership review, while Lambda Chi Alpha must instill anti-hazing education.

Correction: a previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Sigma Phi must conduct a membership review. In fact, Sigma Phi Epsilon will conduct a membership review.

8 thoughts on “Fifth Greek Organization Suspended Since Start of Semester

1. The article incorrectly states that “Kappa Alpha Psi is a member of the Multicultural Greek Letter Council”. Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is a member of the National Panhellenic Council, not the Multicultural Greek Council.

2. I’m a member of Omega Psi PHI FRATERNITY Inc. I have one question …..WHY IS HAZING ILLEGAL? IF YOU WALK IN AN STAY ITS YOUR CHOICE …..IF I DONT WANT TO DO SOMETHING AS A MAN ILL SAY NO…..IF I SAY YES ISNT THAT DECISION ON ME? JUST ASKING….P.S MY UNCLE IS AN 85 NUPE MY AUNT IS AN 86 RED …..

• First…Congrats for you and your family! Next… You arent asking the right questions. Its illegal because mofos DIED while being hazed..If anything, ask why did so many pledges get killed. And please don’t say it was the pledges fault.mmm

3. Sigh. Here we go again. Solution? Ban all frats and sororities. Seriously. Just get it over with. This attrition by ‘single cuts’ is ponderous. The University needs to grow a pair, and ditch them all — except, say, the ones where there is demonstrable public service as a primary mission. Which you can probably count on a couple of fingers.

• Many of these organizations have been active since Cornell’s founding. They are integral to the Cornell undergraduate and alumni experience for numerous Cornellians. They aren’t going anywhere– and shouldn’t be. I would have been miserable coming out of state without my fraternity (and was before I joined). You can join your organizations and let Greeks join theirs.