Led by Black Students United co-chair Delmar Fears '19, center, hundreds of students march from Day Hall to Willard Straight Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017, responding in part to an assault of a black student that the student believes was motivated by his race.

Cameron Pollack / Sun Photography Editor

Black Cornell Students Occupy Willard Straight Hall After Delivering Demands to President Pollack

Hundreds of black students marched into Cornell University’s Willard Straight Hall on Wednesday afternoon and occupied the building for several hours after delivering a list of demands to the University’s president in a protest reminiscent of the 1969 takeover of the same building.

More than 300 marchers, led by Black Students United, silently climbed three flights of stairs in Day Hall and handed a list of demands to President Martha Pollack, who had met with BSU earlier in the day.

The protesters, the majority of whom were black and most of whom were people of color, were responding in part to the assault on Friday of a black Cornell student, who said a group of white men called him the N-word and bloodied him by repeatedly punching him in the face in Collegetown. Two weeks prior to the occupation, a resident of the Latino Living Center reported hearing chants of “build a wall” from a nearby fraternity, Zeta Psi.

Delmar Fears '19, co-chair of Black Students United, hands a list of demands to Cornell President Martha Pollack in Day Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.

Delmar Fears ’19, co-chair of Black Students United, hands a list of demands to Cornell President Martha Pollack in Day Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.

Ithaca Police arrested John Greenwood ’20, a 19-year-old white student, within hours of the altercation and have charged him with two misdemeanors: third-degree assault and second-degree aggravated harassment. Police are continuing to investigate whether there is enough evidence to charge Greenwood under hate crime statutes, Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 said.

John Greenwood '20 was arrested for two misdemeanors following an altercation in Collegetown.

Big Red Sports

John Greenwood ’20 was arrested for two misdemeanors following an altercation in Collegetown.

The injured student, a junior and a member of Kappa Sigma, spoke to The Sun on the condition of anonymity on Friday from a local hospital, where he was checked for a concussion and a broken nose, of which he had neither. “I was pretty bloodied up,” he said. Two people with the victim after the assault said in sworn statements to police that the student’s shirt was soaked in blood following the incident.

Greenwood apologized in an email on Wednesday for using “unacceptable and inappropriate language,” but did not address the reported physical dispute. Greenwood’s attorney, Ray Schlather J.D. ’76, said his client was not involved in any fight and had not committed any crime.

Black Students United’s executive board demanded on Wednesday that the University work to increase the presence of black students on campus, create an anti-racism institute, hire additional non-white mental health and medical personnel and require diversity training for employees and specific coursework for students. The demands are meant to be fulfilled over several years, although BSU members want work to begin immediately.

Led by co-chairs Delmar Fears ’19 and Traciann Celestin ’19, BSU also demanded that any students found to have been involved in the assault be expelled, that the Psi Upsilon fraternity be permanently banned from campus and that the fraternity’s house be converted into a cultural center for members of the African diaspora.

Black Students United, led by co-chairs Traciann Celestin '19 and Delmar Fears '19, center, march through Day Hall prior to delivering a list of demands to Cornell President Martha Pollack and occupying Willard Straight Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.

Black Students United, led by co-chairs Traciann Celestin ’19 and Delmar Fears ’19, center, march through Day Hall prior to delivering a list of demands to Cornell President Martha Pollack and occupying Willard Straight Hall on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.

Thomas J. Fox, executive director of the Psi Upsilon International Office, said in a statement that “no initiated members” of the fraternity, which had its recognition revoked in 2016, were involved in the assault. But Psi Upsilon’s alumni Board of Governors told Cornell this week that it was closing the Cornell chapter of the fraternity indefinitely.

Fox said the international office of the fraternity had found that some members of the suspended Cornell fraternity were recruiting while the chapter was suspended. The organization announced that it has extended the suspension of the Cornell chapter until the fall of 2020.

The Cornell Daily Sun's front page on April 20, 1969, after black students had taken over Willard Straight Hall during Parents Weekend.

The Cornell Daily Sun Archives

The Cornell Daily Sun’s front page on April 20, 1969, after black students had taken over Willard Straight Hall during Parents Weekend.

As students squeezed into Willard Straight Hall and sat on the floor as music blared and BSU members passed out bottled water, the organization’s co-chairs reflected on the parallels between Wednesday’s occupation and the armed takeover in 1969.

“There is an act of racial violence happening on campus again,” said Fears, whose mother graduated from Cornell in 1973. “This isn’t new.”

Celestin said BSU had chosen to occupy the building for the same reasons black students had seized the building in April of 1969. “This is the heart of campus,” she said, “so we want to disrupt the heart of campus.”

David S. Mason ’69, now a professor at Butler, was stationed outside of Willard Straight Hall during the 1969 takeover photographing the scene for the University yearbook, the Cornellian. Informed of Wednesday’s occupation by a Sun reporter, Mason said his first reaction was “amazement.”

“Almost 50 years after that incident, we’re still plagued with the same problems: This issue of racism, more generally, but also specific cases of racist actions on campus,” he said in an interview.

But there were also stark differences between the two occupations. Black students, in 1969, expelled at least 20 parents from guest rooms in the building at 5:45 a.m. during Parents Weekend, The Sun reported. Members of The Afro-American Society, in 1969, remained in the building for more than 24 hours and armed themselves after an attempted intrusion by white counter-protesters. The takeover led to a host of changes and at least one resignation at the University, The Sun reported in 1969.

Wednesday’s protest, on the other hand, was condoned by the University, with at least a dozen staff members present — including a vice president and the dean of students — and BSU members were in contact with Cornell Police and administrators throughout the day, they said. The sit-in ended as scheduled, at 4 p.m.

Students were cautiously hopeful that the drastic measures black students deemed necessary nearly 50 years ago would not be required to make substantial change today. Pollack, who began her tenure as president in April, seemed very receptive to BSU’s demands, said Fears, who along with Celestin, met with Pollack and Ryan Lombardi, the vice president for student and campus life, on Wednesday morning.

Delmar Fears '19, front, and Traciann Celestin '19, co-chairs of Black Students United, read from a list of 12 demands to Cornell before delivering the list to President Martha E. Pollack in Day Hall

Delmar Fears ’19, front, and Traciann Celestin ’19, co-chairs of Black Students United, read from a list of 12 demands to Cornell before delivering the list to President Martha E. Pollack in Day Hall

When the group handed Pollack its 12 demands, she said she would work with BSU to “do everything we can to rid this campus of racism.”

“I can’t promise there will never be another racist incident,” she said. “This is a scourge across the country, but I’m going to work with all of you to do everything we can.”

Imani Luckey ’19, a BSU political action chair, looked over the hundreds of students occupying the hall on Wednesday, almost all clad in black in support of BSU, and she let out a sigh, picked up by the microphone.

“This is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen since my start at Cornell,” she said.

Alisha Gupta ’20 contributed reporting to this article.

• Jay Wind

Perhaps the Sun can report accurately on what demands were made of President Pollack. I see great irony in the BSU seeking to assert their right of free speech and assembly (which is being done in a disruptive way) when they are working so hard to take away the right of free speech and assembly from other Cornell students.

• Frank Underboob

You think free speech includes the ‘right’ to beat up black students, do you?

• Tory Gates

Jay is a troll. This sniffing and snorting is a typical tactic. “Oh, how dare that rabble demand their rights while denying the Constitutionally protected rights of others…” They’re always so quick to whine that their rights are being trampled upon. How? No one says Jay (whomever he is) cannot speak his mind, as he has done here. But oh no, how dare those noisy students disrupt order!

• Shawn White

But he actually has a point, troll or not. The violence is not the issue with the free speech thing, so Frank, let’s get serious for a moment and stop trying to muddy up the waters. No violence is not ok and it’s not a form of free speech. That being said, the “build a wall” chant would actually be free speech. Even using the dreaded “N” word is, like it or not, still FREE SPEECH and protected by the FIRST AMENDMENT. There is no exception to that Amendment for things that people don’t like to hear. How can you march for the right to restrict others rights? That’s a pretty fair statement.

• David Johnson

Where in his statement does he advocate beating up anyone?
        And why is beating up a black student any worse than beating up a white student?
        Or anyone else for that matter.

• Kizmet Paradigm

BLACK ON WHITE VIOLENCE IS A MOUNTAIN INTO THE SUN AND WHITE ON BLACK VIOLENCE IS A TINY SHADOW THAT BARELY EXISTS……YOUR A CLOWN!

• Eve Anderson

lol

• Frank Underboob

Wow.So many lying racists here.

• Jay Leslie

Take some grammar pills and go back to 1935. The real issue here is that people like you are no longer guaranteed a seat at the table by virtue of skin privilege and a pulse. As the playing field grows level, you grow angry.

• Robert Gates

*You’re – You dumbass!

• Robbins Mitchell

Well,obviously naming a hall after Willard Straight is homophobic and cisheteronormative….reasons enough for the little snowflakes to wet panties and go berserk

• Danny Bernstein

It’s sort of crazy that even the comment sections of an Ivy League Newspaper are full of garbage comments like these.

Dear Robbins, buy some snowshoes. You’re in for a long winter.

Love, Proud Snowflake Alumnus.

• Robbins Mitchell

I doubt it…I live in Houston,TX….LMAO

• Danny Bernstein

So your sense of humor is to mock people for fighting back after someone on campus was physically attacked?

• Robbins Mitchell

No…it’s to mock people who think they have a right to “demand” what the curriculum should be by going on a cheap ’60s trip

• Jay Wind

The interesting thing about Robbins’ comment is the history of Willard Straight Hall. At the time Barnes Hall was built for the YMCA and students needed more space, so a group of student volunteers, including Leonard K. Elmhirst, started to raise money. He approached the recent Dorothy Whitney, widow of Willard Straight, who had inherited $15 million from her father (about $339 million in today’s dollars) Dorothy used Straight’s money plus some of her own to build the building, one of the first student union buildings. She fell in love with and married Elmhirst and they lived together for the rest of their lives. If BSU and the MGLCs want facilities for their events or on campus living units they should raise money from the alumni, and not make life more difficult for other student groups who are trying to raise money from alumni. Nobody believes that the BSU, LAL or the MGLCs are trying to improve the racial climate on campus — they are trying to exploit it.

• Robbins Mitchell

Well,that’s “affirmative action” for you

• Kizmet Paradigm

BLACK ON WHITE VIOLENCE IS THE VAST MAJORITY CLOWN!

• Jonathan Treible

The whole Cornell community needs to demonstrate about this. Not just one segment. Similarly the whole community needs to heal from these incidents.

• Pingback: Hundreds of Cornell Students Occupy Willard Straight Hall After Delivering Demands to University – Wanda Posner()

• Happy Jack

Censored again. Cornell is cowards.

• Marco Ramirez

Leftists be gone.

• Happy Jack

Armed blacks took over Willard Straight before. What did it accomplish? Don’t be fooled. Out with the old boss, in with the new.

Those brown faces in the above picture are well-fed, prosperous, middle-class
    blacks, not some oppressed victims. Listen to the Who’s “Won’t Get
    Fooled Again.” Don’t let them jerk your leash.

This is the work of a well-oiled propaganda machine. Go down to Crown Heights, Brooklyn
    and see for yourself how blacks treat each other. This incident at
    Cornell is merely symbolic, exploited and lied about. No one was hurt,
    no one was killed. It’s a joke, mere media circus.

• pam

Um, someone was hurt; they are in the hospital. And when was the last time you were in Crown Heights?

• Eve Anderson

you are the literal worst. these students have every right to feel safe on their campus- and yet, time and again, they are attacked for JUST EXISTING. they are fighting for their right to feel safe in the place they are educated. and you have the audacity to call it a media circus?

why does black students wanting to feel safe offend you on such a deep and personal level? why can’t you empathize with other human beings, or if you’re incapable of that, just mind your own damn business, and stop being a troll on the internet?

• Scoty

You ppl are pathetic,get over yourselves. A black person attacked a WHITE girl for braided hair,I bet you cheer that on though,right?

http://dailyheadlines.net/2017/03/black-college-student-attacks-white-student-over-braided-hair-racial-hate-crime/

• Kevin Schmidt

Justifying criminal behavior by claiming, “But other people do it too,” is a pathetic defense. I hope you don’t want to become an attorney when you grow up. You will starve.

• Bradford Hill

Don’t feel safe? Leave. Simple

• Lisa Hamilton

Why should she leave? Why don’t all the white people who can’t seem to get along with other races leave?

• Kizmet Paradigm

YOU HAVE REALITY 100% WRONG! ITS THE BLACKS THAT CANT GET ALONG WITH OTHER RACES! FACT!

• Eve Anderson

So instead of fear-mongerers and racists bettering themselves and learning how to empathize with folks that are different from themselves, people of color should just leave because they don’t feel safe?

Why don’t the racists just become better people? that seems like the better option

• Alissa Diminich

Alumni are with you. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Jay Wind

If there are alumni with “you”, then ask them to donate to the Africana Studies Center, or Ujamaa or a group of campus working toward greater understanding and healing. Making “deamnds” on Cornell is empty unless there are generous people willing to fund them Look at Cornell Giving Day 2017 — in one day, the alumni gave over $3 million to athletics and almost nothing to Ujamaa or minority programs.

• Alissa Diminich

I already have. After reading this article, I donated to the BSU through Cornell Giving. I hope other alumni do as well.

I disagree with you though that they shouldn’t make demands without money backing them up. These students are standing up for themselves and their rights and safety as Cornell students. I hope they continue to do so whether they have donations or not, that they keep fighting for themselves.

• Jay Wind

I do not see their safety at risk. Cornell students have always chanted and shouted. When I was a freshman, there was no air conditioning and everyone had their windows open. About once a week, a kid would stick his head out of his window and shout “U Halls suck” which would bring a responsive shout “Baker Dorms suck”. No violence came of it. If an LLC member did not like the guy shouting “Build a Wall”, he could have shouted back “Clinton won the popular vote.”

We all want black students to feel accepted as members of the Cornell community. The problem with the BSU’s demands and rhetoric is that they are counter-productive and ill-considered.

• Alissa Diminich

From the article:

“The protesters, the majority of whom were black and most of whom were people of color, were responding in part to the assault on Friday of a black Cornell student, who said a group of white men called him the N-word and bloodied him by repeatedly punching him in the face in Collegetown.”

So getting repeatedly punched in the face, to the extent that you need to go to the emergency room wouldn’t be a safety concern to you????

As an alumni, I don’t want any current Cornell students to feel like they are at risk of bodily harm while on campus or in Collegetown. And especially not if it’s racially motivated. Cornell should be setting the shining example for society, not reflecting back it’s worst aspects.

• Kizmet Paradigm

THE VAST MAJORITY OF VIOLENT CRIME ON CAMPUSES ALL ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTRY IS COMMITTED BY BLACKS! FACT THE VAST MAJORITY OF VIOLENT HATE CRIMES AGAINST LGBTQ ARE COMMITTED BLACK! FACT BLACKS COMMIT MORE MURDERS AND VIOLENT CRIME THEN THE ENTIRE REST OF THE COUNTRY COMBINED! FACT! BEING A BLACK STUDENT ON A WHITE CAMPUS MEANS YOUR 1000% SAFER THEN BEING AROUND YOUR OWN PEOPLE. FACT! THE RACE HUSTLING WITH THE HAND OUT FOR “MO MONEY” HAS GOT TO STOP!

• Eve Anderson

BRO DID U GO TO CORNELL? if you did, then i’m sorry, bc the university did you a great misservice- clearly it did nothing to expand your world view or instill any empathy whatsoever. if NOT, then i’m gonna need you to stfu.

• Kizmet Paradigm

BLACK ON WHITE VIOLENT CRIME IS A MOUNTAIN! THATS A FACT YOU CAN EITHER ACCEPT OR DENY BUT ITS STILL A FACT! WHITE ON BLACK VIOLENT CRIME IS TEENY TINY,,,WHICH MEANS IT BARELY EVEN EXISTS! FACT!

• Robert Gates

Hey Kiz – you are late for your klan rally, so don’t forget your tiki torch. Your poor grammar really makes reading your posts difficult. And, turn off the caps dude, you come across as a joke. Then again, I bet you are a joke in real life.

• Kizmet Paradigm

YOU HAVE ZERO RESPONSE TO THE FACTS I BRING UP! SPEAKING THE TRUTH IS NOT RACIST! FACTS ARE FACTS! SORRY YOU CANT FACE THE FACTS THAT BLACKS ARE EXPONENTIALLY MORE VIOLENT AND CRIMINAL THEN EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED! THIS ABSOLUTE MYTH OF WHITEY PICKING ON POOR BLACKS IS A PATHETIC FAIRY TALE! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF BLACK ON WHITE VIOLENCE?

• Alissa Diminich

The all caps rant immediate voids any relevant point you might make, which is actually none. We are talking about a specific hate crime that occurred when multiple Cornell students attacked another Cornell student because of his race. To speak frankly, when it comes to Cornell, I don’t give a shit about statistics in the rest of the country because Cornell should be safe for all of it’s students and should be setting the example for the rest of society.

You can bring up black on black crime (not a hate crime btw) or black on white crime (also not a hate crime) and it has zero relevance to this conversation. You talk about attacks on the LGTBQ+ community, and yes that is a huge problem, but it is not this problem that we are currently discussing. So I wonder, do you take any action to address or help prevent those attacks? Or do you just bring them up when you want to attack black folks for daring to ask to be shown some measure of respect?

You want to talk about the “facts” you’ve brought up? Well you clearly didn’t graduate from Cornell because you have no idea how to present a coherent argument. First off, and as previously mentioned, quit the caps lock. Second, give me some real facts. Present the data, and the peer reviewed studies, and you know, actually facts not just words you strung together in an order that seems to make sense to you alone. Then we can have a discussion about the state of race relations not only at Cornell but across our Country. And if you can’t handle those basic debate skills, gtfo of here.

• Pingback: Cornell Student Arrested, Fraternity Chapter Shut Down After Racially-Charged Attack - AZ Security World()

• Pingback: White Ivy League Student Arrested, Fraternity Chapter Closed After Racially-Charged Attack – googoonews.com()

• Anita M Harris

I’m sad that we are still having to contend with racism. I stood guard at and later wrote about the 1969 Straight takeover in http://ithacadiaries.com .

• Kizmet Paradigm

YEA BUT THIS TIME THE RACISTS ARE BLACK…

• Eve Anderson

lolololololol

• Swami_Binkinanda

this is where you show that you can dish it out but not take it. Sad.

• John Blutarsky

I think these demonstrations are pathetic and diminish real racism. For some reason students today are so desperate to be important or make a difference they are protesting racism where it clearly does not exist. Is the University racist – NO!, is the faculty racist – NO!, is the student body racist – NO!, is the Ithaca police department racist – NO!. Is the Cornell student government racist – NO NO NO!!!!! In my view not only are the institutions NOT racist but they go overboard attempting to accommodate minorities.

So – what is the beef? A couple of students (probably intoxicated) use the N word (which is terrible) and get in a fight. Certainly a couple of idiots who may or may not have racism in their souls. So BSU needs to get 300+ students dressed in all black to disrupt and make unreasonable demand’s on organizations and bodies that have nothing to do with these couple of idiots.

Fighting racism is noble – too bad they don’t have REAL racists to protest against at Cornell.

• Eve Anderson

i think the students who are on campus every day would probably know whether there is real racism or not? how about we let them speak for themselves, and listen, instead of trying to invalidate their experiences? how about we just believe them, and say “okay, how can we do better?”

• Kizmet Paradigm

YOUR NONSENSICAL COMMENT FALL APART UPON THE TINIEST SCRUTINY! YOU FAIL! LINK US TO ALL THE VIDEO OF RACIST WHITES ATTACKING BLACKS ON CAMPUS ALL OVER AMERICA ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE AND THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING! WHERE ARE THOSE VIDEOS? CUE THE CRICKETS…

• Gabor Revesz

sorry, but i’ve never heard of a non-racist suddenly turn racist from being drunk. nay, the disinhibition of drunkenness could only ever bring out that which already resides in the depths of the soul. cornell is full of entitled racist little shits that sound (and wannabe) just like their racist stockbroker dad and house-flipper mom. as a former cabbie i’ve had the misfortune of driving too many of them to and fro their steakhouse formals, having to listen to their pissing contests about their sexual conquests in ibiza last summer.

• Scoty

We demand,we demand,we demand. That’s all these ppl know,we demand. Get over yourselves,the race card is over played. In Ogden utah,naacp is demanding a driver get fired for a confederate flag,yet 3 black kids pistol whip an old man in his driveway. Yeah,Obama changed america alright

• Kevin Schmidt

Why are your strawmen making demands?

• Robert Gates

Hey Scoty, you are late for your klan rally. Don’t forget your super cool tiki torch from Walmart.

• Scoty

Screw you Robert Gates, I’m entitled to my own opinions, just because my opinions are different thazn yours don’t mean I’m a klansman. But,in today’s world, anyone who is different is aa Nazi. Now run aslong so you can rub one out while you wwatch your ol lady get it on with a brotha

• Robert Gates

I am thinking that was written at the third grade level which begs me to ask the question: Was third grade the best three years of your life? Correct, you are entitled to your own racist bigoted opinions and I am entitled to call you out for the klan loving person you are. Proof reading is a wonderful thing before you post.

• Kizmet Paradigm

WOW… BECAUSE YOU ARE SMARTER THEN EVERYONE ELSE AND YOU HAVE SUPER POWERS TO READ MINDS! GET OVER YOURSELF! LOW IQ MORONS LIKE YOU BELONG IN JUNIOR COLLEGE! YOU HAVE THE EMOTIONAL MATURITY OF A 13 YEAR OLD….FOR LIFE…SAD. STOP WASTING OUR TIME AND RESOURCES SO YOU CAN GET YOUR DRUM CIRCLE DEGREE AND WORK AT MCDONALDS!

• Eve Anderson

lol are you quoting donald trump non-ironically or?

• Robert Gates

Wow that was hard to read. I take it English is not your first language so I will forgive you. I guess I have to say it again, proofreading before posting is highly encouraged. Did you take lessons from Trump on how to post online? Seriously, that was painful to read.

• Ezra Tank

Weak weak liberal argument. Sorry Robert but anyone who disagrees with your point of view is not a racist, Nazi or xenophobe.

America is SO sick of your lazy labeling argument.

• Robert Gates

America is sick of it or just racist bigots like you? Yeah, my guess is the latter.

• Kizmet Paradigm

! IF YOU BELIEVE THAT MEAN OLD WHITEY IS ATTACKING INNOCENT BLACKS ON CAMPUSES ALL OVER AMERICA YOUR DELUSIONAL! IF YOU BELIEVE THAT BLACK VIOLENT CRIME IS A MONSTER ON CAMPUSES ALL ACROSS AMERICA..YOU WOULD BE CORRECT! FACTS AREN’T RACIST!

• Ezra Tank

See what I mean. That is the ONLY tired argument you have. You can never discuss the facts, just label label label. It’s the only weapon the left has and it’s sad.

• Eve Anderson

nah ezra go home.

• Kizmet Paradigm

HEY YOUR LATE FOR YOUR HOME INVASION ROBBERY RAPE OF AN ELDERLY WHITE WOMEN! TAKE A GUESS WHO DOES THAT OVER 95% OF THE TIME! IT AINT WHITEY!

• Eve Anderson

“the race card is over-played” dang scoty what world do you live in? have you ever tried thinking about the experiences of people who are different from you? even the tiniest bit? the world would probably be a better place if folks like you would expend the effort

• Scoty

Eve,I’m so tired of,city in center piece,racist, a college invited black students forr a meal collard greens and Mac and cheese,yup,racist. Shit,I’m half itaslian,if I was invited to dinner and the served me macaroni and red grasvy,i woildx not think they were being predjudice just trying to be polite serving something i would feel comfortable with

• Robert Gates

Wow, grammar “ain’t” your thing Scoty!

• Massaquoi

Could we please have a civil discussion for once instead of always an in your face confrontation? I am tired of other students trying to rope me into marching simply because I am Black. There are better ways to discuss issues, that is why we attend a university, to learn to present an argument of reason not emotions.

• Pingback: Cornell fraternity gets shut down after racially charged attack | theGrio()

• Happy Jack

1) Victim went to hospital ER to rule out fracture. No fracture found. Victim left hospital.
    2) I worked in the ER of a major med center right next to Crown Heights and thus am intimately familiar with the daily, routine ravages of black-on-black crimes. This is nothing by comparison.
    3) Only reason this crime gets attention out of proportion to its importance is because the “n-word” was used. This is hypocrisy, the calling card of politically correct ideology, of identity politics.
    4) Sun blocks my post because the Sun is untruthful.

• pam

I think we can all muddle through even if the Sun blocks your garbage racist posts.

• Happy Jack

“muddle thru” is all you do

i know by first-hand, intimate acquaintance, how blacks treat blacks

for instance, only 17% of black children have a biological parent in their home

• Swami_Binkinanda

hilarious fake facts. what else will you make up out of whole cloth to support your evil fantasies?
          The jackbooted thug pinning down a people wonders why they don’t do better? Sad.

• Eve Anderson

the sun blocked your posts because they’re offense and they’re an embarrassment. i had the misfortune of reading them, and trust me, they contributed nothing of value.

• Swami_Binkinanda

Happy Jack fails to understand hate crime laws state and federal. Decides to turn it into a butthurt wail.

• Jay Wind

I am sure that everyone is watching how President Pollack handles this crisis which landed in the middle of her “honeymoon period.” Jeff Lehrman had two years to prove himself as President and was ushered out the door. It is difficult to assess how President Pollack is doing because 1) we still do not know the 12 BSU demands and have yet to see her response. 2) The Board of Trustees is a bit on the conservative side and certainly no-nonsense. 3) Every Cornell President is judged on a number of fronts, particularly fundraising skills. If this flap results in a donation nose-dive, President Pollack’s tenure at Cornell could be short.

• Lovedthebear

Dear future employer. Please take a look at how i act when I don’t get my way and hire me. I won’t cause any issues when i work for you.
    Signed
    Member of Black Students United.

• Gerald Martin

The ultimate cause of this is clearly the presence of low-IQ, less-capable blacks who get frustrated in a university environment and use every excuse, especially a physical altercation where one comes out 2nd best, to demand more undeserved benefits and pandering from the administrators. Cornell would be better off with NO blacks, or at least far fewer, those who can do the academic work and don’t perceive western civilization as some kind of racist plot directed against themselves.

• pam

Jeez, you don’t even try to hide your racism there, Gerald.

• Gerald Martin

Realityism, more like it. Those are the facts.

• Eve Anderson

great facts there, gerald. real sound science.

• Gerald Martin

Science? The science is this: for starters, blacks score over 200 points lower on the SAT than whites throughout the Ivy League. It also holds true generally, in less selective institutions. Blacks benefit from an incredible amount of favoritism and pandering – consult Steven Farron, The Affirmative Action Hoax, for more details (what you see is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak). Intelligence testing consistently shows blacks averaging at 85 vs about 100 for whites. (And the science shows the IQ gap is at least 50% genetic, probably a lot more).) The ones at Cornell are undoubtedly more intelligent than your average black, but compared to white Cornell students, the gap is at least as wide as it is between black and white averages, generally. Black students at Cornell would be better off at a HBCU, where they could excel, comparatively. Cornell – and white and asian students – would be better off if there were no blacks – with all their pathologies – lowering standards and causing conflict, with their petulant, puerile, cries of “racism” to hide their own shortcomings.

• Jay Wind

There are many different types of intelligence. I am sure that there are a lot of capable black students at Cornell — some have gone on to be successful doctors, lawyers, investment bankers and CEOs. However, when it comes time for them to express their generosity by supporting Cornell, they do not direct their money to the BSU, the MGLC organizations, Ujamaa, etc. because they don’t see lasting value in those organizations. Successful black alumni, have benefited from both the knowledge and analytical skills imparted by Cornell as well as the social skills and multicultural contacts. An African-American student at Cornell today would be better off learning how to succeed in multicultural American society and making friends of all backgrounds. Any student is better off at Cornell than at any HBCU, because of the better opportunities that Cornell provides. A kid has tunnel vision if he works hard to turn his Cornell experience into an HBCU experience. He could have joined Psi U and lived in a nice house instead of spray-painting it.

I don’t believe that white Cornell students “would be better off if there were no blacks.” Rather all of Cornell would be better off without the BSU. Some of its demands like renaming the Cornell Plantations were just silly and ended up wasting tuition dollars and alienating people who would otherwise be allies. Other of its demands, like more black psychological counselors, administrators and faculty are counter-productive because race-based hiring should never be substituted for hiring the best people.

• Kizmet Paradigm

BLACK POWER IS THE POWER TO DESTROY….PERIOD.

• Kizmet Paradigm

TRUTH IS NOT RACIST RETARD..

• Lisa Hamilton

Did you even go to Cornell? If anything the black students there are just as smart or even smarter than the white students. Cornell would be better off with people who are willing to listen to frustrations and be are part of the solution rather than people like you who try to justify their racism. Go back to living in your white world while the rest of the world passes you by.

• Gerald Martin

Didn’t go. A hiking buddy of mine graduated from there & worked at Eastman Kodak for many years, keeps up with the place, and tells me about Cornell’s decline from time to time – so I take an interest. If you think the black students are “as smart or even smarter than the white students” you are mistaken – check comparative SAT scores. You’ll find the blacks average at least 200+ points below whites – at Cornell.

• Kizmet Paradigm

THERE IS ZERO PROOF ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD THAT SHOWS BLACKS SMARTER THEN WHITES…UTTER NONSENSE!

• Eve Anderson

dang dude you are gross. there’s probably nothing that any of us can say to make you less racist, but we’re here to let you know that your views won’t go uncontested.

• Gerald Martin

Dang, dudette; I don’t know if you’re gross, I’d have to see a picture, but you can contest my views all you want – mine are fact based, your’s are not.

• Eve Anderson

i was talking about your soul, gerald. your soul is gross. i have no interest in the trash “sources” you use for your “facts”; the world is worse off because of folks like you. people of color don’t “create a racist plot against themselves” when YOU ARE LITERALLY SAYING THEY ARE LESSER THAN WHITE FOLKS BY DESIGN. you are the racist plot. invest in becoming a better person and stop embarassing yourself on the newspaper comment site of a school that wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole.

• Gerald Martin

Ah, my soul is doing just fine, thanks. I’d stop but the truth impels me – “I can do no other.”

• Kizmet Paradigm

HATE FILLED RACIST BLACKS WITH 13 YEAR OLD MATURITY LEVELS FOR LIFE ARE THE ONLY PROBLEM HERE! HATERS GONNA HATE!

• Terry Mahosky

What is going on with these people? Is it just because they are black that gives them the right to take over whatever they want? This world has totally gone straight to hell.

• Kizmet Paradigm

THEY BE THUGGIN ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES ALL OVER AMERICA! WHERE YOU BEEN?

• AM’89

The Sun is being trolled to a stunning extent. The whataboutism in the comments reveals pernicious agendas at work. I trust Cornell compassion and logic will prevail. Let’s not be distracted by provocateurs.
    Bravo, BSU! The provocateur playbook wants to malign and exhaust you. You are brave, strong, and have many allies.

• Dan

The incident was abhorrent, we can all agree on that. But we really do need to analyze the BSU claims reasonably instead of being afraid to question them. Are we really “plagued” by racial violence at Cornell? Or was this a rare incident?

Was President Pollack to blame for this? Of course not. President Pollack should listen to BSU if they have reasonable suggestions, but not follow them out of pressure. We should no longer give ridiculous demands credence. Appeasement didn’t work when Cornell, following an absurd demand, changed the name of the Plantations; BSU is never satisfied and just seizes these tragic moments to promote themselves. More “non-white” medical personnel? My doctor is a different race from me and I’m doing okay. More diversity training and mandatory classes? Are the rare students, like the attacker in this case, likely to have a sudden epiphany that they shouldn’t attack people? Or maybe it will just create more jobs for people with low-demand degrees…

By the way, it is worth suggesting the possibility – was the alleged victim attacked because of his race, or did he try intervening in a fight, only to get beat up, while the attackers tried to say the most hateful thing they could think of (even if that wasn’t the motivation for the attack)? That would indicate the issue is more about violence, which is unfortunately commonplace throughout the entire geographic world and throughout history. If anyone knows a foolproof way to prevent fighting, even single incidents, in large populations, please let us know. Of course, there is really no valid motivation for attacking someone who caused no harm, and no excuse for the hate speech. Sorry to speculate, but the investigation hasn’t completed, we don’t have much unbiased evidence public yet, and it was worth pointing out that there are possibilities other than hate crime.

• AM’89

“But we really do need to analyze the BSU claims reasonably instead of being afraid to question them.”
      Huh? Why are you afraid? I haven’t seen anything suppressing any person. The BSU demonstration expressed solidarity with the victim of a hate crime.

• Jay Wind

When the University Assembly books 700 Clark Hall, a relatively small seminar class room for a meeting, and the BSU puts out a campus wide call to pack the room beyond standing room only capacity, that tactic is designed to intimidate. The Campus Code of Conduct prohibits blocking ingress and egress from facilities and prohits threatening or intimidating people “except for free speech”. It is the free speech exception that prevents the “occupation” of the Straight and the packing of 700 Clark from being a Code violation. The BSU wants to amend the Campus Code to make it a one-way street: if you express disagreement with the BSU you violate the Code, but if you say hurtful or threatening things about white people you are to be commended.

• Frank Underboob

You sure cry a lot, racist.

• Marie Baker

They do have black colleges u scum can go to. Regular schools have to lower standards to let you people in. If u dont like whites then dont drive or use durniturre or anything since we invented it all. All you guys have are animals skins. Just look at the native africans. Uncivilized. Qithout us whites you would still be like that. When you were sold by ypue own people to use uvwere naked cause u didnt know enough to make clthing. Ur i qs are below that of an avtual retard.

• Jay Wind

The above paragraph is a very poor parody. I suspect that some BSU members have thought so little about their position that they cannot see the difference between the above comment and the valid criticisms that have been expressed regarding their views.

• Marie Baker

Its true colleges have to lower standards so blacks can get in and keep regular standards for everyone else. There are black colleges those so called people can go to. Denying this is denying reality

• Kizmet Paradigm

WHO TURNED SOUTH AFRICA INTO THE RAPE MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD? HAHA

• Eve Anderson

LOOK I CAN RIGHT IN ALL CAPS TOO! HOW ABOUT U PUT YOUR ENERGY TOWARD NOT BEING A PIECE OF RACIST GARBAGE? you can start out slow, and just devote maybe 5 minutes a day, concentrating really hard on yourself until you’re able to deconstruct whatever horrible combination of insecurity/fake news/conditioning/alienation that has made you the way you are. then up it to 10 minutes, then to 20- and maybe, just maybe, you can start to do something productive with your time, and not be a blemish of hate on the world. good luck! 🙂

• Eve Anderson

Im still shocked at how none of y’all racist shitty posters realize that your racism is exactly the reason that BSU needs to exist? bc there are folks like you that want to keep these students down? y’all are embarassing, get off the cornell newspaper’s website- our school wants nothing to do with your narrow-minded shitty world-view.

• Pingback: Evergreen State 2.0? Hundreds of black students take over Cornell | CENSOREDWEB.COM()

• Michael Walsh

Imagine if white people did this every time one of us was assaulted by black people!

• Kizmet Paradigm

WHICH IS THE CASE THE VAST VAST VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME! TIME FOR WHITE STUDENT THAT ARE VICTIMS TO BLACK VIOLENCE 90% OF THE TIME! BLACK ON WHITE IS ENORMOUS WHITE ON BLACK BARELY EXISTS! TIME TO START A GROUP TO END THE EPIDEMIC OF BLACK VIOLENCE ON WHITE CAMPUSES ALL OVER AMERICA!

• Eve Anderson

there’s probably nothing that any of us can say on this comment thread to make you less of a racist piece of garbage, but we’re here to let you know that your views won’t go uncontested.

• Ezra Tank

LOL, so they want the house converted to an African center.

Where do these children learn their laws from?

• Kizmet Paradigm

BLACK AND WHITE FIGHT? SO IF THE WHITE GUY WINS ITS A HATE CRIME AND IF THE BLACK GUY WINS ITS SOCIAL JUSTICE! HMMM?

• Kizmet Paradigm

MORE BLACKS ON CAMPUS? THE VAST MAJORITY SHOULD BE IN JUNIOR COLLEGES!

• Eve Anderson

nope nope to u and nope to you’re racist garbage. nope nope nope

• Pingback: VIDEO: Cornell 'takes a knee' to protest racism - The Rightly Report()