Cameron Pollack / Sun Photography Editor

Junior goaltender Marlène Boissonnault's 48 total saves over both games were a critical component of the Red's weekend success.

No. 5 Women’s Hockey Rounds Out Impressive 2018 Campaign With Victories Over Union, RPI

Looking to fine-tune its fundamentals ahead of ECAC postseason play, the No. 5 women’s hockey team posted two wins in a weekend road trip to the Albany area to cap off its regular season.

On Friday, the Red (19-7-3, 15-5-2 ECAC) looked like the top-five team that it is, skating past Union (7-22-5, 5-15-2) by a score of 5-0. The following afternoon saw Cornell take a gritty win, 2-1, over ninth-place Rensselaer (9-19-6, 6-13-3).

Sophomore forward Kristin O’Neill notched a goal in both games to continue her impressive season. Junior goaltender Marlene Boissonnault had two impressive games of her own, posting a 19-save shutout on Friday and stopping 29 of 30 shots on Saturday — her most saves in a single game since Dec. 1, 2017.

The Red notched three shorthanded goals between the games, including ones from O’Neill, junior forward Lenka Serdar and sophomore forward Paige Lewis. The Red ranks seventh in the country in shorthanded goals with seven.

Cornell’s focus will now shift to the postseason, beginning this weekend when it welcomes Princeton to Lynah Rink for a best-of-three ECAC quarterfinal. Game one is Friday at 6 p.m., game two is Saturday at 3 p.m., and, if necessary, game three is Sunday at 3 p.m.